iPhone Apps install help (solved)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by kuebby, Oct 29, 2007.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so I used jailbreakme .com to jailbreak my touch and now I have the installer icon so I know it worked. But now I'd like to install the iPhone apps.

I download the newest iJailbreak and started following the steps for install iPhone apps. My problem comes after I enter my IP address (I did this right I tried multiple times) then when my MBP is trying to SSH into the touch it always times out. I tried multiple times and it happens every time.

What am I doing wrong? Or is there some other problem?

2. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

PS. I already installed BSD tools.

Edit: Figured out how to get the other libraries of applications.

Edit2: Installed OpenSSH and BSD tools but if I try to use ijailbreak to install iphone apps it stills times out while trying to ssh in.

Edit3: About my internet connection. I live in a dorm apartment building and have no wireless router of my own. I've used my neighbor's connection (I have permission), a computer-to-computer network using my MBP, and internet sharing using my MBP.

Edit4: Tried directly SSHing in with multiple programs (cyber duck, transmit, and fugu)

3. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I found this which says if SSH doesn't work you have to delete some file. But using Finder on my touch I couldn't find that file.

Please help me guys, I'm so close, I just can't get this SSH thing working.

Edit: Auto-lock is set to never but the connection always just times out.

EDIT: Progress is made. I have SSHed in and pasted the iPhone files in the right places. But when I try to open the apps they immediately close.

Edit2: I now have the icons for iPhone iCal, Mail, and Notes but whenever I select them they just open to the first screen and freeze.

4. 864646 macrumors regular

change the octal to 0755

5. 864646 macrumors regular

wat client are u usin??

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Are you kidding me?

This process is documented in a zillion places.

7. Tibwolf macrumors newbie

Make sure every file has the "execute" permissions set.

Changing the folder's permissions doesn't affect the individual files. That might be where you are having the problem

8. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Actually when I eventually figured out what the problem was I'm pretty sure no one has had the same problem, which is that the touch and my laptop were on different networks (laptop wired ethernet and touch wireless from another dorm). At least that's all I can figure the problem was. My eventual solution was to just restore my iPod and use iJailbreak. But even though it took hours to try to do all of it manually I'm glad I did, I think everything I learned about terminal and SSH was very valuable.

And trust me, I looked everywhere to find the solution before I posted.

9. beeeen macrumors member

um yeah. I still don't understand how to do this. I know how install 3rd party apps through installer, but I cannot figure out how to install iphone apps at all.

10. alana22 macrumors regular

11. beeeen macrumors member

This helps, but it might be that I am not familiar with cyberduck/ftp clients at all. I downloaded the zip drive off of the link, and I have cyberduck open. I'm just not sure what to do from here regarding transferring the files to my touch/connecting my touch to cyber duck.