Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garvatron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Yesterday my HD crashed and I lost everything. Luckily I had most data backed up on DVD, however, I have reloaded Itunes on my laptop again. Right now my iphone is set perfectly to how I like it, but I am worried that if I sync it to my newly installed itunes, it will delete all my music, photos and applications. Is that what will happens? Is there a way to get the photos and apps off the iphone and then somehow get it back onto itunes without losing it? Also, if I do lose my applications, some of which I paid for, can I get them back on my phone/ itunes without having to buy them again? In other words, will istore recognize that I have already purchased these applications and let me install them again without paying? Thanks for the help.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
For the apps, yes, you will get them back for free no matter what as long as you're signed into iTunes with the account you bought them with. It will say something along the lines of "you have already purchased this application, press ok to download for free".

garvatron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks. Is there anyway to save the videos and pictures on my phone? The easiest thing would be if I could get them off the phone and on to my laptop HD and then put them back into itunes.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Thanks. Is there anyway to save the videos and pictures on my phone? The easiest thing would be if I could get them off the phone and on to my laptop HD and then put them back into itunes.

Pictures Yes...Videos are like music and can not be pulled from the iPhone.

Go into iTunes, Edit, Preferences, Syncing and select "Disable Automatic Syncing"

This way auto sync does not start and erase everything until you are ready.
For windows go to My Computer (use equivalent on Mac) and select the Apple iPhone icon. Open your picture files and drag to your hard drive where you want to save them.

Also...if you use notes...email them to yourself before you sync or they will be gone, they do not backup.

Always backup your iTunes music folder to an external hard drive...this stores all of your "media" files purchased and/or used through iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.