iPhone Apps to help with Filmmaking

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spook2517, Mar 31, 2011.

1. spook2517 macrumors member

My mom just gave me her old 3G iPhone. I have no intention of using it as a phone, but would like to use some of the apps available to filmmakers. Having never really looked into the iPhone, I'm not really aware what is out there but thought folks here might have some good recommendations.

I work as a camera assistant, production manager and a wear a couple different hats on set, so anything that applies to production could be right up my alley.

I've seen a few depth of field calculators already and a couple apps to assist with cg, but would love any and all opinions.

Thanks.

2. titatom macrumors regular

+ 1

I'd love to discover some apps that would be useful on set.

You should definitively consider using your iPhone as a phone, it has been a wonderful tool to help me keeping up with development and production on different projects. I use Skype a lot for international calls and email is a must have. Seems like a lot of people in the industry use an iPhone which makes sharing documents/calendars/contacts/etc... a lot easier ! :D

3. spook2517 thread starter macrumors member

^ It would be nice to use the iPhone as a phone, but I already have a Blackberry and pay $35 a month for a killer Sprint plan, so I doubt I would switch.

Some of the apps I have downloaded to the iPhone are...
    -Gobo - Set definitions/references
    -LVRUSA - Instructions for quites a few popular cameras
    -Clinometer - Level app used for syncing shots
    -Aja Datacalc - App used for calculating disk space
    -Keyframe - Keeps track/notes on shots
    -Kodak Cinema Tools - Depth of field calculator for film cameras
    -myGobo - Lighting/grip app

I'm currently looking at the MatchLens ($9.99), Toland ASC Digital Assistant ($39.99) & Panascout/Panascout Lite ($9.99 or free).