iPhone apps use energy quicker than can be charged!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by majordude, Jan 18, 2010.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have three radio applications. Wunderadio, AOL and something else. If I have my phone plugged into the wall the battery will die and the phone will quit!

What's the deal?!!

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you notice, the battery will only start to drain when the iPhone gets hot. When it gets hot, it stops charging. It's like a sort of protection.

I have three iPhones, original, 3G and 3GS, this happens on all of them, nothing wrong.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Well, it IS wrong that on A/C power it cuts off! Do any of your other battery operated devices die when plugged in?!

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Well this is the way the iPhone is designed so there is nothing to fix.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Take the GPS feature. You can use more power using GPS, than you can put in, with a charger. So the net effect is the battery still slowly drains.

Some features use lots of battery. Streaming using 3G rather than wifi, or using GPS both drain battery fast. Might want to check your battery health if it's a big day to day problem, try and stream using wifi etc.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That's right. The only app that I have had this happen with on all three of my phones is with the XM radio app. I use it mostly on 3G (I use up to 8GB a month this way) and after an hour, it starts to drain the battery when the phone starts getting hot. If I use WiFi, that problem doesn't happen. I've also tried plugging it into my computer and directly into the wall, it still happened and I don't worry about it.

I have never had the problem using any of the GPS apps and I've tried them all, TomTom, Navigon, CoPilot and Sygic.

7. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I run the Navigon GPS app and Bluetooth audio streaming at the same time and sometimes the Tom Tom car dock charger can't keep up but most of the time it will sloowwwwly charge the battery. Ive tried several different chargers and none of them charge fast when you run gps, screen, bluetooth at the same time many won't even charge the phone with all that running. Make sure whatever the charger you use is at least 1000Mah, many are only 500Mah and won't provide enough power to the phone if you're using GPS or another processor intensive application.