Iphone apps vs. g1 apps...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Nicolecat, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I couldn't find this anywhere...

Does anyone have info or insight on how the android apps work vs. the iphone apps?
    Are they as plentiful?
    Why hasn't t-mobile regulated this like they said they would?...or have they?

Thanks!

2. detz macrumors 65816

no, I don't think anyone regulates the apps for them.

3. rioja macrumors regular

I think non-regulated is the best, whether the G1 store gets filled with junk or not.

At least people have the choice to get what they want, not what t-mobile or Google are telling them they're allowed to have.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

They aren't supporting paid-apps yet on their store, so the only apps available are ones that developers don't mind giving away for free. Having said that, I think they have Pac-Man...

5. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

:p:p

Couldn't be more true.

6. iGoon macrumors newbie

iGoon

That's good to know as I have an app I want to have across a number of phones vs. just the iPhone. I've been trying to follow the android market somewhat and wasn't entirely clear about that.

In keeping, what about the Blackberry? Aren't they supposedly riding on Apple's coat tails and featuring an App Store at some point down the road for the new Storm?

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I could be wrong here but aren't google trying to be open source which usually implies free or donations?

8. JMBrown macrumors newbie

I'm fairly certain the Android Market is only allowing free apps until January, at which time devs will be able to charge for their apps. If I recall correctly, the devs get 70% of the revenue while t-mobile takes 30%. Supposedly, Google isn't taking a cut.

edit: From the Android blog

9. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Sorry but it is your misunderstanding of open source. There are many open source commercial software out there.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Open source just means that the source code is available to anyone.

If you know how to compile it onto your phone, then yes, it's technically free.

But most people can't do that or don't know how. But they can still take a look at the source for educational learning purposes or whatever they want.