iPhone as 3G modem via USB, best app is..? (solved; MyWi w/ 32 bit OS)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by butasama, May 4, 2010.

1. butasama macrumors newbie

Hi guys, been following the forums since I got a iPhone, and now registered since I'm in the need of some help. Recently JB'd with smartjb, and am trying to wrap my head around all the new stuff.

I'm looking for a stable Win 7 + iPhone app that will give me internet access via the iPhones 3G network. I'm using the trial version of PDAnet, but it tends to disconnect on me if the number of connections goes above 100...

iPhoneModem does not work (as my laptops WiFi card does not support ad-hoc mode).. Does not have USB mode..

iModem won't install the app on my iPhone when I connect it via USB.. I can't seem to find any good FAQ's / guides on how to install the app on the iPhone.. If you know of a site w/ a guide please post the url.

So I'm looking for alternatives.. Are there any free apps, not that I'm unwilling to pay 10$ for a great piece of software.. But still, as a student I need to save in on what I can.

Looking forward to explore what the JB can offer from here on. ヾ(´ー`)ノ

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Does your service provider not allow you to tether? the iPhone has this function built in already.

3. butasama thread starter macrumors newbie

My provider is Softbank (Japan) and I have an unlimited plan.. I really don't know if they have a policy against tethering..

I'll look into it, thanks!

4. C8XY macrumors 6502

go to this site on your iphone and download the correct profile.

to use it, you will need SSH and basic knowledge of SFTP

helpful guide

EDIT> This does not use an app, it enables “official tethering” via a modified profile. Turn tethering on in settings and the phone status bar glows blue. It is also completely free and relatively simple.
    Use either USB or Bluetooth

5. boatski macrumors regular

MyWi works great and has an option for USB tethering.
    $10

6. butasama thread starter macrumors newbie

I get the connection up and going, but I'm guessing that there is a packet/proxy/dns error somewhere, since uTorrent will download torrents,
    but Google Chrome/Firefox/IE will not browse the net...

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit // 3GS 3.1.3 -> spiritJB

Anyone know how I can fix mywi? Seems easy to use and all, but no browsing = no go.. :/

7. butasama thread starter macrumors newbie

solution for tethering on windows 7 64 bit:

Give up and install a 32bit OS, I don't know if it was just my computer's WiFi adapter (Intel 4965AGN), but when I installed 32 bit Windows Ultimate on it,
    MyWi connected instantly and has been stable now for about an hour with two laptops connected..

If you don't want 32 bit, then look at a app called PDAnet, it has a 64 bit application that you run on your computer when using the iPhone's 3G connection.
    I could not get a stable connection on it though, it randomly disconnected (after 10 minutes ~ 4 hours..) even when connecting through USB when I was on 64 bit Windows 7.

Anyways, MyWi is as good as they say, really easy setup on the iphone..!

8. guidonuovo macrumors newbie

does this work with 3.1.3? did you note the comment by bobuscho:

9. rsuryase macrumors newbie

I have same problem with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I downloaded an updated driver for my Atheros AR9285 and it finally works. I can connect to MyWi and the internet.

10. Guru0006 macrumors newbie

I used this and worked like a charm!!!! Actually it's super easy. Just turn on wifi on the app and then on laptop connect to it (on windows 7 anyway). Works wirelessly and is free! Fantastic!

11. emerheb macrumors newbie

I have the AR5009...coulnd't get it to work and it says that my driver is up to date. Where did you get the driver update?

12. rsuryase macrumors newbie

I don't remember the site but I used google. Windows won't update to it because it's not certified so I had select it manually.