iPhone as a desk phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by benhollberg, May 12, 2011.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

For a long while now I have been looking for docks that I can use that turn my iPhone into a desk like phone. I have seen a couple prototypes here and there but nothing really in production. The other day I saw a review of one on Engadget. This is just what I am looking for but I don't think I like this one and it isn't worth $150. Mainly this would actually be for my father, who has also been looking, and I though something like this would be a great Father's Day gift.

Has anyone seen anything else like this that is in production, or other reviews? This would is just what I am looking for but I don't know if I like this one that much. If you have seen anything that is actually in production I'd love to know. Thanks.

2. applephysci macrumors regular

If you're looking for a converter that can enable all (to and fro) calls from your iPhone to be automatically received by (and function as) a landline/desk phone, there are some great inexpensive options that work really well (less than $50). Having a dock to do so is going to be pricey ($150-$300).

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think that'll cut it. For me or my father, it just doesn't look all that good.

What do you mean a converter? Like something that will just make the calls go from an iPhone to a regular desk phone?

Those look really good. I am looking into the Moshi Moshi 03, ever had any experience with it? I looked at some reviews and they said it is alright but the Bluetooth quality wasn't that great. I'd love to hear from anyone about this.

4. applephysci macrumors regular

One like this: Cobra PhoneLynx. Works like it was made for the iPhone. Pair your iPhone with it once, plug any landline/desk phone to it, and you're done. Whenever you come back home, your iPhone automatically gets linked. If someone calls your iPhone when you are home, the landline/desk-phone rings as well (and so you can pick either the iPhone or the landline depending on which one is nearer to you at the time).
    If you need to call someone and decided to use the landline/desk-phone, you get a dial tone and can dial and make calls on the landline just like you normally would (routed invisibly through the iPhone). Crystal clear quality.

I was told that it can be got for ~$30-$35 elsewhere. If you're interested and can't find that price, let me know and I'll find out for you.

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That looks real good actually. I've never thought about doing that. I would have bought that Moshi Moshi thing last night if it had speakerphone but this would solve that problem. Do you actually have this and can provide your feedback, or any other reviews that aren't actually on Amazon?

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I'm interested. Do you mind looking?

7. applephysci, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

applephysci macrumors regular

I've had the Cobra PhoneLynx for about 3 months now. I found this after intensely hunting (like you are now) for one to work with my home desk-phone. I wanted one that gave me the advantage of being able to using my iPhone with all the bells and whistles of a home desk-phone (caller id, speaker-phone, redial, flash, stored set of numbers, mute, etc.). I also wanted the flexibility of having the choice to use a corded/cordless, expensive/cheap home desk-phone as and when I desired. Of over 25 that I researched, the Cobra PhoneLynx was the one that best fit all of these and came with a bonus.. an affordable price-point.

Everything was plug and play. Bluetooth pairing the iPhone with the Cobra was a breeze and I've only had to do it the very first time I got the Cobra. Updating the iPhone to 4.3 (or later to 4.3.2, 4.3.3 iOs) did not require me to re-pair again with the Cobra.

I leave my Cobra plugged in near my home office desk. I don't have to worry about where my iPhone is because the range is great and the iPhone can be 2 to 3 rooms away and I can still have great reception. So I leave my iPhone wherever. When I get calls, my home desk-phone rings as well and I get the option to pick up from where I so desire.

Everything within the home desk-phone works as expected. No surprises there. Call quality is excellent. The fact that you get a dial-tone when you pick up (which I did not find as a feature among almost all the others that I'd researched) almost makes it hard for even you to believe that an iPhone is configured to it. My callers don't even realize that I'm speaking through my desk-phone. One other thing that I love is that all my incoming and outgoing is routed through the iPhone, so much so that even if I'm on the road my call history remains the same.

The only con I can think of is that I've noticed an exact one second delay for the desk-phone to ring. If you have your iPhone right next to the desk-phone and a call comes in, your iPhone will buzz and one second later the desk-phone starts ringing. I think that issue is one that's a relatively common issue with majority of bluetooth speaker systems (cars, headphones, etc.).

Everything else works great. If you're interested and are curious about the store with the lower price, I can ask my friend who was able to obtain this for ~$30-$35.

8. applephysci macrumors regular

for the lower price? Sure, will find out.

9. himesh macrumors regular

The Moshi stuff is pretty cool, build quality is second to none, but that is reflected in the price i suppose. Sound quality is good also.

10. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Do you have the Bluetooth or wired model?

11. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

I've reviewed them all on my YouTube channel. I don't think I'm allowed to post the links (it's against the rules) but you should be able to find them via s simple search of my channel.

12. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You can go ahead and post the links.

13. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

I'm glad you're okay with it but unfortunately I think the moderators would have something else to say about it.

14. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Great reviews, I just watched the Moshi Moshi 02 and 03 reviews. I am looking into the 03, you recommend getting the white model though, do you think that the black has a serious problem with dust and all because that is what I am looking at. Also the lack of speakerphone kinda seems like a killer, and the Voice Control works for the 03 over Bluetooth as well?

15. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

I should also be getting the 04 in for review any day now as well.

I don't imagine dust would be too large an issue with the black version. It's pretty glossy though. Yes, voice control works on the 03.

16. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

The white is glossy as well, I think. Great reviews and thanks a lot. I am probably going to get the 03 for my father for Fathers Day, it is only $99.45 on Amazon from Native Union. Unless you can recommend something similar that is better or something.

17. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

Yes, they are both glossy. I just meant the black might show dust more since it's darker.

I can't recommend anything of this type other than what Native Union offers.

18. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Great you are awesome. I just subscribed.

19. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I ended up buying the Moshi Moshi 03, I was looking at the Cobra thing but my dad gave his old office phone to someone else in the building, at least that's what he said. It figured it be better to just get a whole new phone than get the cobra thing and have him find another phone. It shipped today from Amazon, I'll post how it works sometime in June after Father's Day.

By the way, applephysci did you ever find lower prices for that Cobra thing? I think other people in the thread were interested.