iPhone as a modem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I know it cant be don't at the moment but is it possible? Could the current iPhone do this with a software update or is it hardware based?

Would love to be able to use my iPhone as a modem like the blackburry etc. and im sure others would to.

I know i can do everything on my iPhone that i could do on my MB (well not flash) but would be nice to have a 13 screen on the go!

Ben

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If they make it available obviously they'll charge way more for data if you want to teether to your laptop.
    It wont be free or the same amount you're paying now.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i agree with you applejuiced, they will increase data costs...

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know in some devices that they allow teethering to another computer they charge around $60-80 per month.
    Definetelly wont be free or for the same amount of data for the current iphone.

6. MWillis561 macrumors member

MWillis561

From what I notice AT&T doesn't charge extra for tethering. I had a windows mobile phone that had 3g and I would create a wireless network with it. Then I could connect any laptop to it and use its 3g connection. I received no extra charges. I just made sure I had the unlimited data plan. I can still do it (Which I do all the time) by taking the sim card out of the iphone and putting it back into my old Windows Mobile and using that if I ever need a portable wireless network. It works like a charm every time.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Alot of other cells\PDA's charge for that type of service. I doubt the 3G iphone would offer it for free

8. scariaga macrumors regular

I just talked to somebody @ AT&T about this and they said that you could tether the Iphone to a laptop for an additional $40 a month, just like any other smart phone. Is this not true?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likelly the AT&T rep was clueless about the current iphone features. Or it will be a software update available for it in June

10. scariaga macrumors regular

ya thought it was wierd since everybody on here has told me otherwise. I really hope this happens. The wireless card for laptop is like $60 a month and is limited to 5 gigs data transfer. Would be nice to be able to just connect via iPhone

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I can see a software update in the future to allow users to teether.

12. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Wow thanks for the fast replies.

So it is possible but just breaches o2's terms of contract?

Hummm there has to be an app to over come this? If not, how come? Then again i know nothing about this, so sorry for my ignorance :)

Ben

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Theres a way but its really complicated and needs hacking/jailbreaking the current software version. Also if your provider notices your doing that they'll cancell you quick

14. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

what puzzles my tiny little brain is how do network distinguish between data tethered through PC and through Phone? should be same cost...

15. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea thats what i was thinking?

I have a unlocked jailbroken phone on 1.1.4 so could up say how you do it :) Or link me etc?

Thanks

Ben

16. Juvenile macrumors member

Just get a smartphone and plug the iPhone SIM in the smartphone and tether away. I've been doing that since day 1.

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

AT&T does not charge extra for tethering. They consider it part of the normal data plan. I would imagine if you were downloading movies 24/7 that might be a different story, but overall you can get away with it.

IF your cell provider charges for tethering, they would be looking at the volume of the downloads. If you're downloading something that's obviously above and beyond the capacity of your phone, for an extended period of time, they'll look more closely at your account.

18. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Does anyone know how its possible on an iPhone?

Would love to be able to do it on the go.

19. Red Sox macrumors regular

Here's how I do it on my MacBook

1. Install TinyProxy on Jailbroken iPhone
    2. From the Airport drop-down menu on the mac toolbar on the top, select "Create Network" and name it whatever.
    3. Open Network Preferences. Click "Advanced." Click TCP/IP tab.
    4. Under "Configure IPv4" select "Manually" Give yourself an IP address of 192.168.1.2.
    5. Click the Proxies Tab.
    6. Highlight the "Web Proxy" and "Secure Web Proxy" boxes, and enter "192.168.1.1:8080" as the proxy server on both.
    7. On your iPhone, connect to your newly created WiFi network.
    8. Press the little blue arrow next to the name of the WiFi network. Change to Static and give yourself an IP address of 192.168.1.1.

If it doesn't work at first, open safari on your iPhone and try to visit a website. This will allow the iPhone to know that it needs to use EDGE instead of WiFi for internet access.

20. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thanks for that Red Sox! Really appreciate the time taken to write it all up!

:)

21. f(A)t'kId macrumors member

HAHA it works

Just followed the instruction HERE and it's working like a champ... well a Edge network champ. Still that's pretty cool that it's so easy. :D

My iPhone is 1.1.4 that was jailbroken with ziphone. Edge for my internet working on a MacBook running 10.5.2.

UPDATE: May have spoke to soon. Seems to be quite glitchy and loses connection easy. It works one minute and not the next. :confused:

22. jfox00 macrumors member

23. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I asked at the AT&T store about this when I got my iPhone and they stated that there would be a charge. It's basically another way to get Internet Service. It's much like getting one of those little USB adapters that allow you to connect to the net through Verizon, Sprint, etc, except its through a bluetooth tether. I know my Samsung with Verizon paired very easily with my Macbook, but I needed a plan.

24. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

25. Red Sox macrumors regular

what did you expect them to say? That its ok for you to do that and that there's no extra charge?

People have tethering phones using basic data plans for years. Don't worry, you won't go to hell for doing this :)