Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

Can my iPhone 5 or my iPad Air be used as a music source to be played through my stereo? If so, How can this be done? What would I need? I don't have a Laptop to serve as a music server. I have an iMac, which is in our office. The stereo is in the living room.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Try the Apple TV solution route.
Hook it up via your home network and stream media from your iDevices using airplay

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A variety of methods depending on desired cost and features.

$5 dollar headphone Y cable to hundreds of dollars digital adapters, and things in between.
Wired or wireless?

What's your pleasure?

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
How does the Apple TV get music to the stereo? The stereo is not part of any network in my house.

Jay

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
How does the Apple TV get music to the stereo?

The Apple TV (or an Airport Express) effectively puts your stereo on the network. The Apple TV has HDMI and digital optical outputs. If your stereo does not have one of those the Airport Express has both analog and digital optical output. Once installed, you can use Airplay from iTunes or your iOS devices to your stereo.

A.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
How does the Apple TV get music to the stereo? The stereo is not part of any network in my house.

Jay

iPhone --(via WIFI)--> ATV --(via toslink)--> Stereo.

So yes you must have WIFI set up at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.