iPhone as a phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spencecb, Aug 5, 2009.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

We are in the age of social networking, texting, e-mailing, etc. People dint always have time to talk on the phone anymore. Or maybe they just don't want to talk on the phone. A lot of the time it is simply more efficient to send someone a text than to pick up the phone and make a call.

I'm one of those people. I often joke with my friends that when they call, I wait until the call has ended and text them back asking what they wanted. I kid about this most of the time, because if someone calls and I'm not busy I'll pick up the phone. But I strongly prefer other mediums of communication when I am out and about. It's annoying to hear people screaming into their phones when they are out walking around. With modern smart phones, you can carry on a conversation without disturbing a soul. I think that is fantastic!!

I guess I'm writing this just out of curiosity to see how often you use your device (most specifically, your iPhone) as a phone as opposed to using all of the other communication options.

Just humor me

2. muledogus macrumors 6502

Mine is a communication device for sure as well as a organizational tool. I rarely use the phone but I'm always either texting or posting somewhere. I've almost completely stopped using my computer at home because everything I used to do on it I now do on my phone. I play in a band and these last few weeks I've even started writing songs on it (while at work and away from real instruments and all). My iPhone is basically my life.

www.myspace.com/armsofmachinesband if anyone is interested. Or check us out on iTunes.

I swear when I started this post it wasn't going to be a plug.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Ha! ;)

What I find funny is that a text conversation rarely turns into a voice conversation. The topics that are covered over text remain just that, text. Weird huh?

I also prefer to text most of the time mainly because where I live I drop a signal every 3 miles, BUT att is the best option. ;)

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's called an iPhone (not iText/iEmail/iTweet...). Call me old school but I believe the downfal of civilization will occur when we stop TALKING with each other. Sure, I text and email and organize my life with my iPhone. But I prefer to SPEAK with people.

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I only call people if I have to...

Life's always too busy to willingly have a conversation with someone, however much I'd like to, I just don't have the time lol

This is not to say I don't enjoy chatting with friends, or talking to anyone. But when I need to know something or tell someone something, then a text or an e-mail is far more efficient in my opinion.

/Doug

6. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm a very social person, but in person. This is why I prefer communicating via text/email/facebook so I can spend more time in front of the people I want to speak with.

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It depends for me. If there's something that needs to be talked about then I prefer to speak with the person as opposed to a long drawn out text battle. Usually the majority of my calls are work, parents or girlfriend. When it comes to my friends, it's usually just texts because it's always a very brief convo. I don't see a need in calling someone over 1 question if it is not urgent. This way they can get to it when they have time. While I'm at work, I'd rather not speak on the phone and if I do then I have to keep quiet and watch what I say. Through texting, I can say whatever I want whenever I want.

8. sthursby macrumors member

The 'problem' with a plan with unlimited texts is, even if you weren't a huge texter to begin with, you begin to treat it like IM. Add in the ease of use of the iPhone's keyboard, and I'd say I probably text as much as I talk, which never used to be even close to the case.

That said, I don't exactly talk on it a whole lot, probably no more than the average person uses their phone. To me, the main benefit is the internet + email + mp3 player part of the iPhone. Everything else is just complementary ;)

9. jayenh macrumors 6502

in 10 months with my 3gs i have managed to clock up a total of 4 hours talk time. so yes, i guess you could say i rely on text more than voice. but then that is the general culture in the uk. i use it heavily for emails as well, in fact i cant remember the last time i logged in to my gmail account on a PC or mac, and beejive is always connected.

10. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I never text ever. I don't pay for a texting plan either. I use the entirerty of my 700 min plan each month. Other than that, I use email primarily. I hate texting, paying more for a data medium that should be cheaper than voice, as well as it being out dated. Email should have superceded texting long ago.

I don't understand buying a phone and NOT using it to talk on.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think EVERYONE talks on their phone, just not as much as people with their flip phone that only works as a phone. There's a reason we all bought iPhone's and it's not because of it's superb call quality and lack of dropped calls *sarcasm*. It's because of all the data capabilities. Maybe you're using the wrong phone?

PS. That's a pretty extreme user name you got there.

12. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I would say that I call, text and email just about the same amount. I have found that when texting/emailing back and forth I end up calling the person if we need to work out further details.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I talk when various bits of information need to be exchanged (where is it, when is it, who's going, how you getting there, what are you bringing, should I bring so and so, etc etc). Otherwise, pure txt.

I got over 'chatting' on the phone aaagggeeesss ago.

14. alansaysstop macrumors regular

I text way more than I talk on my phone. For one, I work 50 hours a week so I'm always at work. For two, I never have anything important to say. I talk on to my out of state friends once or twice a week for 90 mind at a time. And usually the weekly phone call to my parents.

I have been quilty of texting someone right after they call to see what they wanted haha. Usually it was because I was in a loud bar/show, but never the less, still quilty.

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I thoroughly despise when someone calls me, I don't answer and right away they call me again as if to 'force' me to pick up.

If I was available, and didn't have a bunch of groceries in my hand, I would have picked up the FIRST time you impatient *&^%!

:mad:

I like texting when info is being passed on, an address, a phone number, etc

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've pretty much replaced calling with texting when trying to convey small bits of info like making arrangements to meet up. It turns out that is actually the majority of my communication.

However, when catching up with friends out of state I still call. Also, my mother talks for about an hour and she doesn't even know what a text is. lol

I have the minimum calling plan (450 anytime) and I still have a bank of 1700 minutes that I'll never use. Prior to the iphone I used to exceed a 600 minute a month plan.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im not a talker and majority of my friends are the same...all texters. Some will even only 'talk' to you via facebook

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Put it in the sig ;) – You can plug everywhere.

I use my phone as a phone quite a bit, I'm not a large texting fan unless it's quick or simple instructions.

19. juswest macrumors regular

I often wonder where people on this forum get the idea that email was going to be the top form of communication..Lot's of people don't have email addresses that use regularly to communicate...Don't have feature rich email clients on their phones..Don't care to constantly check their email inbox..But they do have a cell phone that sends a quick text message...

20. greenpaz macrumors member

I actually think the texting option COMPLEMENTS the communication (via phone, in person, etc) between individuals. There are times when you're harried, you don't want to do the whole "how are you, how are the kids" thing, and you just need a basic question answered. That's where texting is so convenient. It doesn't, to my mind, take the place of a conversation. It helps avoid a pointless conversation when you don't have time for--and perhaps are not in the mood for--one. Also, I can text my wife early in the morning if I think she's sleeping (or I think the baby's sleeping), and she may hear a little bell, but she won't be woken up by the ring-ring-ring. Then she can call back if she's awake, or get ahold of me when she does get up. Texting is awesome.

21. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

how'd you get your 3gs 10 months ago? they only came out a little over one month ago?????

22. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

why do people do that!? i hate that!!!!!!!!!!

23. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That, my friend, is part of the secret. ;)

24. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I very rarely use the phone, and texting. I maybe get at least 10-15 calls a week. My phone is used for streaming morning radio shows (our radio signal sucks in our building so I have to use my phone), iPod, and apps/gaming. I really need to stop spending so much money on apps. :D

25. YoungLew macrumors regular

If i have a day when i don't leave the house i.e. perhaps a Sunday.....Then that is one of a few times that i only use the iPhone as a phone as i have 3 laptops and 2 PC's at my disposal so no need to use it.