iPhone as a professional music recorder!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by olistic, Jul 13, 2008.

1. olistic macrumors newbie

Hello!
    Imagine a future version of iPhone, or iTouch, with incorporated Microphone input minijack?
    It would multiply enormously the applications for these devices!
    - Professional recorder if a good microphone is plugged in.
    - It would be the only ultra-compact recorder for musicians. With an appropriate software it could be converted even into multi-track recorder!
    - DJ could plug an external "music source" and, with an appropriate software use the device as DJ Desk!

I would like to open this new discussion subject in order to collect different opinions concerning this topic.

Participate!

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Well since it has an audio jack that a mic goes through (apple headset) something like this could come to the app store possible voice recording. You could possibly hook a mic through the audio jack and it might work. I remember with my 3rd Generation iPod 15gb when i hacked it with iPod Linux i could use it as a voice recorder if i plugged a mic into the audio jack.

But idk if it'll become like a professional thing.

3. olistic thread starter macrumors newbie

It is not the same...

It is not to the same to use the output channel as an input channel. The recording quality would be affected.
    It would be not possible to listen while you are recording.
    It is not a straight forward solution!
    I am talking about a standard and a professional solution...

4. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I use a Belkin Tune Talk Stereo voice recorder attachment with a 3G nano and while it's great as a dictaphone, it really doesn't cut it for recording music - yes the ipod records uncompressed aiff at 16bit 44.1kHz but the mic preamps are just not high quality enough. There are already many recorders targeted at musicians, including some ultra-compact ones: http://www.auditory.org/recorders.html

I know this isn't quite what you were suggesting but there are already DJ products that allow use of an ipod as a music source: http://www.numark.com/idj2

I would love some cool apps and perhaps hardware attachments to be developed for the iphone, but I think for anything other than occasional use, a dedicated digital recorder is the way to go.