iPhone as an "apple tv"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdw154, Sep 28, 2011.

1. rdw154 macrumors member

or IPad for that matter.

Would anyone be able to make and app or apple ever consider using the iPad or iPhone as the go between for connection to another iOS device and a tv? (without having to buy apples actual "apple tv"?

Why not connect one of your iOS devices with the hdmi connector to your tv then sit back on your couch and mirror your iPad to the iOS device hdmi connected to your tv?

Just something I have been thinking about here with my tv where I don't have an apple tv. All I need to do is connect the cord to an iPhone and plug it into the tv, and use the "not yet invented " application which can act as the go between.

If this is the wrong place for this, I apologize ahead of time.

Thanks

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

You can use home sharing to stream vid from your comp to your ios device. Which can be played on your tv.....
    Not sure if this is what u wanted....:confused::confused:

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I use our various iPod touches and iPhones and and apple composite cable (like hdmi cable) for that.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So instead of an Apple TV, you want one iDevice to be the middle man so that you can plug it into your TV using HDMI, and you want to control it and send video to it (AirPlay) from your 2nd iDevice while on the couch.

iPhone (on contract) is $199 + $40 for the HDMI dongle
    iPod touch is $229 + $40 for the HDMI dongle
    iPad is $499 + $40 for the HDMI dongle

Apple TV, $99 (HDMI port + remote included)

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Why would you want to go this route when adding an Apple TV costs you only $99? With iOS 5, you be able to mirror whatever is on your screen to an Apple TV (rumor is that new iPhone 5 will also be able to do this). Using your suggestion, you'd need 2 iOS devices that cost a minimum of $199 and $499.

Why not just hook up your iPhone or iPad directly to your TV and play from there?

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

yeah but the cable is cheaper than the apple tv at this point :)

7. rdw154 thread starter macrumors member

exactly what I am getting at.

And to the guy bringing up costs, an apple tv is at least twice the price of the hdmi connector.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You're missing the point--2 iOS devices costs more than one iOS device and an Apple TV. I understand you're coming from the position of already having an iPhone and iPad but that's one specific configuration and right now you can only mirror with an iPad 2. IMO, just adding an Apple TV to your setup is a simpler, more effective, and more convenient solution for marginally more money, and if you only have one iOS device, it's far cheaper.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was debating how to reply to the OP, but you nailed it.

But I will add this, what happens when you get a call/text message/email/facetime/notification? All of these can and will interrupt whatever it is you're viewing. It will get very annoying very quickly.

An Apple TV maybe be twice the price of an HDMI dongle, but for me it is has been money well spent.

10. rdw154 thread starter macrumors member

I am the OP, I have an IPad, will have a new iPhone in about 2 weeks. I have 3 tvs, and want to be able to mirror from my IPad on each TV without buying 3 apple tvs, or disconnecting them each time I go from my bedroom, to my living room, to my basement tv.

By being able to mirror to another iOS device (which I already have in my pocket, my iPhone) I don't have to go up and get my apple tv and disconnect that every time.

it was just a question and something I thought could simplify things more on some users ends.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

12. rdw154 thread starter macrumors member

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Alright, understand where you're coming from--best option is for you just connect your iOS device directly to the TV. You just won't be able to control it with another iOS device (no remote control, what I believe you were hoping to have with the second iOS device ;)).

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

There are cables out there.
    TVs with Wi-Fi.
    Even some fancy "media" boxes...

I personally use my PS3, and my MBP with the video adapter + audio cable to the Home Theater Receiver.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The HDMI cable is $40, for $85 you can get a refurb Apple TV direct from Apple. I have one on each TV, very handy. Wish it got Amazon Prime video though.

16. collect3 macrumors newbie

The app 'Video Stream' does what you're asking.

It's a video streaming app for iPad & iPhone, but when connected to the TV will display an 'Apple TV' interface that can be controlled by that device or another iPhone / iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC_XTYvb2s&feature=related

Full disclosure: This is our app, but as it sounded exactly what the OP was after (assuming it was for viewing video), so hopefully this isn't viewed as spam.