IPhone as an external modem for macbook pro

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fmon, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Fmon macrumors newbie

Fmon

Hi guys,

I was wondering if its possible, to use the iphone, as a direct device to acces the internet on my mac.

Is there a specific software for this method or another driver?
    I Tunes is already known ofcourse as a bridge between pc-mac and iphone..
    Im using t-mobile as provider, but i dont think that makes a difference..
    Main point is that im tired to search always for free wifi networks, but i dont want to get a ground net, because im moving always around....
    I know there are other solutions for my case, but since i have iphone and a mac, im curious..if this is possible or not :)

Thanks for reading this article

Cheers

2. argos4000 macrumors member

It is possible, but I think you have to jailbreak it. And I don't suggest you to do that.

Or you could wait until Apple and AT&T come with a compromise for doing that type of function using the 3G functionality.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Since the OP isn't in the US I don't think this is relevant.
    @OP, I don't know how this will transfer over to you using it in Hungary, but when I was with TMobile when I lived in the US I was able to use my phone (not iPhone) for tethering to my computer. You might want to contact TMobile where you live and ask them what your options are.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

this isn't offered on the iPhone anywhere
    the only option is to jailbreak and use PDANet which costs $30 (1 time fee)
    http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

5. Fmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Fmon

Thank u for the quick answer!

Actually i was thinking of the jailbreak method, but reading the topics in this forum, made me suspicious about it...
    I guess ill just stay with mine in my hand, and wait like a 5 year old little boy for his parents to pick him up from kindergarten...

6. Fmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Fmon

Wohha guys, ur so quick,, by the time i post my reply, it gonna end up like im writing ********..:)

Well this is hungary, here they are going to laugh u out( the provider), because u want to try out new things with your mobile...

But its a really good idea, when u live in the us or in the uk, or anywhere else than here in hungary..:)

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

jailbreaking is perfectly safe and %100 reversible
    people on this forum just like to make up horror stories

8. urbnsoul macrumors newbie

You could pay the $30 fee (which is totally worth it) to browse sites that are outside of http://, but if you just want to use it for that purpose, then it will remain free for basic web surfing, at least, last time I checked (ver. 1.42). I'm not sure about 1.5 and onward.