iPhone as an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seattlecard, Mar 18, 2008.

1. seattlecard macrumors member

Hi all

I just picked up a refurb iPhone from ATT today, and my plan is to use it as an iPod touch. My questions:

1. I plan to jailbreak the phone using one of the many methods. Which is the best method? ziphone?

2. Are there any problems to note when using the device without a sim card? I understand phone functionality won't work.

3. Can I remove the phone related icons from the home screen?

4. Which firmware should I use? 1.1.4?

Anything else?

Thanks,
    Future iPhone user

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) ZiPhone does seem to be the new favorite jailbreak method.

2) Phone functions will still work, just only to call 911, so be careful.

3) ZiPhone may allow you to remove the apps, but using the traditional system you can only move them to other pages.

4) 1.1.4 would be best.

TEG

3. MacGuyver macrumors member

Why did you buy it? Do you plan to use it as a phone later?

4. seattlecard thread starter macrumors member

5. seattlecard thread starter macrumors member

One additional question - is it somehow possible to turn off the phone functionality to save on battery juice?

6. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

How come you got the iPhone to turn the phone off? Why not just purchase a Touch? Was it a price thing, or are you hoping to eventually use it as a phone (like when your contract with another carrier runs out?)?

Just curious, I'm not trying to flame you or anything

7. pna macrumors 6502

You may want to look into iplus (2.0). Apparently it is equally successful at unlocking / jailbreaking as ziphone, but also allows for future upgrading to the current bootloader. Maybe if you're just jailbreaking and not unlocking, you don't care about this, or it doesn't apply. All things equal, though, I'd just use iplus.

Plus, if you unlock it, you can pick up a tmobile pay as you go sim card and just keep it in there in case of emergency.

8. seattlecard thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. I'll check out iplus.

Regarding the question why not buy an ipod touch? I picked up the 8GB refurb iphone from ATT today for 50 bucks cheaper than a new touch, and I gain the added benefits of the iphone (better screen, speaker, camera, etc)...

9. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

Oh thats right! The camera and speaker! Brilliant idea. I might do that for my girlfriend now who's been asking me forever for an iPhone (she always jokes, but still half-serious... you know what i mean?). So does a refurbed have anything wrong with it? What makes it refurbashed?