iPhone as an iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seand1111, Jul 30, 2009.

1. seand1111 macrumors regular

I am sure its been discussed before, but i just want to make sure I have a few things "clear".

I am now able to upgrade to the 3GS, so I am going to turn my 3G into an ipod and give it to my kids. I know how to do that, but i am "fuzzy" about the following;

Before I do the swap, is it possible for me to create a new profile for the 3G, that only has what i want it to have on there in regards to apps, music, and movies? Is this profile locked to the SIM? In other words; If I need to update apps or OS, I will have to swap my good SIM into it to do so. But, when I do, will it allow me to use the profile I want, or is the SIM locked to a certain profile?

2. alFR macrumors 68020

As far as i know it's locked to the phone hardware, not the SIM - you can still sync the phone with iTunes without the SIM in it, anyway.

3. seand1111 thread starter macrumors regular

I can? I was under the impression if I did that, it would restore it to a "new" device and require me to do the whole itunes setup again. Interesting to know.

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Nah, I use my 3G as an iPod touch with no sim. Syncs fine.

5. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

U can use the old one as an ipod with no problems. I gave my friend my 2G when the 3G came out. He changed all of his settings perfectly, synced with itunes with no trouble. The only thing we did have to do was take out my SIM card and put it into his to update the phone. I'm not sure if you will have to do this with the 3G because the 3G S came with a new SIM card