iphone as Edge modem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robertanti, Jun 6, 2008.

1. robertanti macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm getting EDGE on my iphone and I also know that the iphone's bluetooth functionality is limited. Can EDGE on the iphone be used to connect to a Windows XP Bluetooth enabled laptop to the internet?

Thanks in advance,

Roberttanti :)

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Not at this time.

Internet sharing, or "tethering," for the record, is a violation of the terms of service of the iPhone.

You need a special plan (PDA Connect) and a capable phone to do this.

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

isn't this less of an iPhone issue, and really depends on your carrier?

the OP hasn't stated where he is from, or which carrier he is with.

technically it is possible to achieve what the OP is asking. however i think they need to check with their carrier.

4. Yossarian macrumors member

No, the bluetooth is crippled so can't do this. However I believe a jailbroken phone can be used as an HTTP proxy over wifi (i.e. you peer-to-peer wifi from laptop to device and it uses EDGE/GPRS as the internet connection). I haven't tried this myself.

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have used it but it does not work very well. Well, at least it did not a little while back. The speed was pretty good considering edge. Believe it or not it would load faster on the mac compared to the iPhone but 1 out of every 3 pages would not load. Sometimes you would have to load up the page on the phone itself first then refresh on the computer. Really a big pain. Come on 3G :)