iPhone as fast as MBP someday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Dec 31, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

According to a youtube video, the iPhone 5S has a score of approximately 2600 in geekbench while the rMBP 13" 2.4 ghz has a score of approximately 5500.

So if Apple keeps doubling the performance of the iPhone, the next gen iPhone could be as fast as the 2.4 ghz 13" rMBP?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Even if it were, these benchmark tests are pretty much meaningless. What are you going to do with the iPhone/iPad that is going to require that speed? Nobody will notice the difference.

What matters on the iOS devices is the user experience, not the specs.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The day you can cram the performance for 5500 points in this test into 2-3W. The 20W+ chips of a notebook will probably be much faster.

The growth in ultra mobile chip performance is likely to slow down a little. The smartphone boom put a lot of money into it but it is a game of diminishing returns. There are less and less tweaks in the architectures possible that yield big improvements.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The iPhone 5s is more powerful with faster connectivity than the early MacBooks. Such is the nature of computing and Moore's law. My iPhone has more processing power, memory, and storage than the mainframe used in my first job.

My iPad does 90% of the tasks I used to use a laptop for.