iPhone as "full-time" iPod replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghettochild, May 12, 2008.

1. ghettochild macrumors regular

I'm curious. Who uses their iPhone as a full-time iPod replacement, i.e., more or less dumped their iPod for the iPhone?

Those who have too large an iTunes library and therefore still use their iPod need not reply.

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

My iPhone has fully replaced my iPod but after about 2 months of this I have decided I will be buying an iPod classic the next time they are updated. I feel very limited when I am using the iPod part of the iPhone. I hope this helps.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

My iPhone has become my personal MP3 player replacement. I don't use anything else any more. I have a huge music collection but i find i only really listen to about 4GB's worth of it so i don't find the iPhones 8GB that limiting.

I do still use my old iPod (3G 20GB) in my car though.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I do not have an iPhone yet as they have not been released in Japan.

However, I recently purchased an iPod Touch. Based upon my experience with the Touch, I imagine that once the iPhone is released here in Japan, it will replace my iPod for the most part.

BTW, I am looking at a 16GB or larger, if available, iPhone.

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

My iPhone has replaced my iPod.

I could do with a little more than the 8GB storage size but if you need lots more space either you have a lot of video or you haven't mastered playlists in iTunes yet :)

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use my iPhone for most of my iPod replacement but still use my Nano for running. The iPhone is a little to big and heavy.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

The iPhone would never work for me as a full time iPod as I use an iPod to workout and it is very difficult to use the iPhone at the gym.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I went from a nano to a Touch to the iPhone. I was very skeptical about the battery life and usefulness of the iPhone, in a putting all your eggs in one basket sense, back when it first came out. That was the reason I ended up with the Touch. I finally gave in and bought an 8GB model and sold off the previous two. I definitely could have used more storage space but it works just fine for me.

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The iPhone is fine for a "Most" of the time replacement. You need to get used to using playlists to compensate for a large library, but it's not an issue.

I do have a shuffle though for when I go to the beach. I don't really want the sand and the sun beating the crap out of my phone. I also couldn't imagine using the iPhone for the gym or any other activity (skiing). It's too heavy to have bouncing around in your pocket.

10. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I replaced my 16gb ipod touch with 8gb iphone, i cant fit all my iTunes library on and it does not bother me one bit. I just have a playlist called 'best of my iTunes' and put my music on the iphone from in there. I find i only ever have around 5 gig of music on at a time this leaves plenty of room for some videos.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, I realized that I only listen to around 10GB of music (or less) on a regular basis, so my iPod touch (and, by extension, my future iPhone) would probably do just fine. Especially if they bump capacity to 32GB.

12. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have my iPod in the car now and use my iPhone anyother time. Looking forward to a possible 32g phone though!!!!!!

13. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

I too, only have one device, my iPhone holds all my music, it's on me always, and I use it in car, on bus, at work, at home.

14. Gamble macrumors member

Whats the battery life like when using the iPhone as an iPod? How long does it last?

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

If you're merely using it for music then it lasts a long time because the display is off. If you are using video with the backlight dimmed then you can get some more time out of the battery. I can't give you a solid number of hours either way. I try to stop short of it becoming a problem.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And don't forget pictures too.

In my case, I carry some movies, TV shows, and a large collection of pictures.

And of course, my music. :)

17. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

my iphone has almost replaced my ipod (it did replace a video ipod that I had) but I do still use my nano when I run (and use the nike adapter that still only works with the nano)

18. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

it is my full time ipod replacement...

the only time that i wish it had a larger storage capacity is when i go on long trips, but i have my laptop with me so i can update the music anyways.

19. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

It's my full time iPod as well. The main reason I bought it is because I was tired of taking a phone and my iPod into the gym. Now I just have my iPhone. I just put it in my pocket and it works out great for me. At first, I was really wanting more capacity, then like the others said, I started using better playlist management, and honestly am only using about 3GB of the 8 right now.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am slowly moving towards just using my iPhone. I actually use it in the car but I do not use it at work mainly because it seems to interfere with my inMotion speakers far more than anything I've ever seen. Not to mention the speakers weren't really made for the iPhone.

I think if they come out with a 32gb then I may upgrade but I'm not even filling up the entire 8 gb even with my extensive library.

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Pretty much use my iPhone as my only iPod now (my library is too big to fit on any iPod so editing it down for the 16GB iPhone isn't too much of a pain). The only time I don't use it is when I'm working out - I use my shuffle then.

22. christianhg macrumors newbie

Off Topic, sorry: Hi, are there any good threads about "mastering playlists" in iTunes? Thanks.

23. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

With smart playlists and well tagged music (star ratings) my 8GB iphone can keep up fairly well.

I have my playlist to randomly pick songs with > 3 stars that hasn't been played in the past 2 days (With a few other criteria to keep the music rotating). The play list is limited to 5GB.

I also sync the top played songs and most recently added (mainly because news songs most likely have not been tagged yet).

Works really really well ... you can do a lot of things with smart lists

24. rayward macrumors 65816

Ditto. I have a music library of about 8gb, but that's obviously increasing over time. I have about 4gb on my iPhone, and that's plenty for when I'm not in the car. I haven't been clever and set up a smart playlist that will swap out the music on a regular basis, but this is an option for people with very large libraries.

I'm going to upgrade to a 3G, 32GB iPhone at some point, probably after the initial rush has died down and there is a good base of 3G experiences out there, at which point I may ditch the iPod in the car and just plug in my iPhone which will help keep if charged - something I'm expecting to be a major logistical exercise with a 3G iPhone.

25. rayward macrumors 65816

iPhone battery life for music playback is astounding. However, there's a good chance that you'll be doing other stuff at the same time (surfing, emailing etc.) so you'll go through the battery quicker than on an iPod because of this other activity.

When in airline mode, it'll play for hours and hours and hardly touch the battery. I regularly take flights that are 10+ hours - I have it playing for virtually the whole flight, and it will use about half the battery. However, once we can have native apps (games) on there, I'm going to be listening and playing, so the battery life will be put under pressure.