Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsook724

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
CA
iphone as an ipod touch?
would it be worth selling my ipod touch for a iphone first gen?

one thing i would lik is that it has internal speakers, camera, and vlume buttons on the side and i can just buy an adapter for the headphones

so should i do it?

jsook724

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
CA
well i was planning on using the iphone with no contract because basically its just a ipod touch without the contract but even better cuz of the camera, spears, mic, and volume buttons.

so i was thinking of trying to buy an iphone 1st gen off ebay or somethin lik that

nomad00

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
I've thought about doing this too, but haven't really put the time in to find out if theres any problems with it...activation issues maybe...?

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I've thought about doing this too, but haven't really put the time in to find out if theres any problems with it...activation issues maybe...?

no, apple (or at&t?) has said that the old ones may still be used as ipods, so there's no issues there. they are pretty expensive and a lot thicker, those are the only problems I see. I'd recommenced waiting till September for ipod touch updates though since I'm guessing we're going to see internal speakers and maybe volume buttons. I doubt we'll see a camera though.

jsook724

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
CA

ya i thought about it and ive come to the fact is that the phone might not work as because it is not activated is there any evidence of the iphone being used as an ipod touch anywhere?

nomad00

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
no, apple (or at&t?) has said that the old ones may still be used as ipods, so there's no issues there. they are pretty expensive and a lot thicker, those are the only problems I see. I'd recommenced waiting till September for ipod touch updates though since I'm guessing we're going to see internal speakers and maybe volume buttons. I doubt we'll see a camera though.

Yeah, the camera, microphone & speakers -- they are what have caused me to consider this as an option. Seems like thats needed to be able to take full advantage of the the App Store.

jsook724 said:
ya i thought about it and ive come to the fact is that the phone might not work as because it is not activated is there any evidence of the iphone being used as an ipod touch anywhere?

Yeah, the phone would def not work, but the other features should make up for that.

jsook724

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
CA
ya i will consider this option if they dont come out with a second gen ipod touch or if the second gen ipod touch doest include some of the features like bluetooth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.