Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Someone gave me their old 2G iphone, and the SIM card that was used. They now have a 3GS and new SIM. OK, so it's in emergency mode, connect to itunes, blah blah. But when I put in the old SIM, connect to iTunes, it wants to set it up as a phone with his number! How can I just use this thing as an iPod touch? I do NOT want to jailbreak/hactivate.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Pop in any old sim card on the network it is generally on in your country. Then you can activate and use it as a normal iPod. (Depends on country. May not work in some countries)

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
hrm.... dumb question, as I don't have much experience with SIM card carriers (and I've never even opened mine up! LOL)

Can you get the ipod function to work without a SIM card in?
Seems like the SIM would only be needed for network use?
Maybe you can download and sync games and stuff directly from your computer?

Just a thought.

It seems like ANY old SIM card would try to reconnect using the number from the SIM card, y'know?

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
hrm.... dumb question, as I don't have much experience with SIM card carriers (and I've never even opened mine up! LOL)

Can you get the ipod function to work without a SIM card in?
Seems like the SIM would only be needed for network use?
Maybe you can download and sync games and stuff directly from your computer?

Just a thought.

It seems like ANY old SIM card would try to reconnect using the number from the SIM card, y'know?

Yes the iPod function will work fine without a SIM card in. Like the poster said above you, you don't even need to jailbreak it, just pop in a SIM card once and plug it in iTunes to activate it and after that you can pull it out and you're all set.

SIM cards just identify the phone with your cell network, so other then that everything else not phone related works. Wi-fi works as well, same as computer syncing, which are two straight forward ways to get apps on your phone.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Yes the iPod function will work fine without a SIM card in. Like the poster said above you, you don't even need to jailbreak it, just pop in a SIM card once and plug it in iTunes to activate it and after that you can pull it out and you're all set.

SIM cards just identify the phone with your cell network, so other then that everything else not phone related works. Wi-fi works as well, same as computer syncing, which are two straight forward ways to get apps on your phone.

It works best if you use a SIM card from another iPhone that is already activated.

Some SIM cards will force you down the new account path in iTunes.

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
The OP stated he didn't wanna hactivate. His best bet is probably grabbing his friends SIM card for a little bit, activating the phone, and handing it back.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The OP stated he didn't wanna hactivate. His best bet is probably grabbing his friends SIM card for a little bit, activating the phone, and handing it back.

Whenever I use a SIM in there, iTunes wants to activate, which I think will change that SIM to a $20/month plan. I found a workaround. Just put in any sim, plug to itunes, let it TRY to activate, it will saying waiting to activate, then disconnect the USB cable. Works great,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.