iPhone as main GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delorean2006, May 1, 2014.

1. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

Hi! I have been using my iPhone a lot more recently as my dedicated GPS, i honestly prefer it over my TomTom, well because the maps are a lot more updated and also because the voice goes through my car's speakers because of bluetooth. I want to know what kind of hit would this do to my data plan, I have a 10GB data plan and I only use around 2GB a month on average and I do have a car charger, so what would the data hit be? i only use the GPS 1-2 times a month but for a long trip what kind of hit would that be and also can anybody recommend a good car dock, I already have a suction cup on the dash and I do not want to use an air vent car dock only because the vents are such a strange shape that it would almost impossible to fit a phone there, i know i may sound redundant but I just want some advice, thanks! and oh yeah i have a 5S if that makes any difference

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Few megabytes to load maps. Once you set destination, the actual voice/map guidance don't use data

3. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

really? i actually never knew that, damn! Im definitely going to start using my phone a lot more then, i truly like the interface that much more on apple maps and google maps a lot more then my tom-tom, its not like its 4-5 years old, its only a year old but its just terrible

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I used Maps/my iPhone as my GPS for two trips, 22 hours round-trip each. I also used my phone/data for web browsing, etc. during that one month. I have a 2GB data limit, and have not hit it.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

With a 10GB data plan you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

A few megs? More like under a meg for most GPS itineraries. The only time you start using a lot more data is if you use satellite view, which is unnecessary.

Google is similarly efficient.

If you miss your TomTom, there is a TomTom app in the App Store for $30-$50. It has all the data local just like your real TomTom and a similar interface. It will work perfectly even if you have zero data coverage. I own this app but don't normally have it installed because it uses about 2GB of space on the phone, but if I go on a long road trip I will install it before I go so I have GPS maps even if no data coverage. (I actually bought it several years ago, before there were other options for turn-by-turn on iOS)

6. JPS127 macrumors member

7. speed4tu macrumors member

I have this app also and rarely ever use it anymore. It does work good if needed tho. Apple maps integrate straight in with the browser which i generally get the address from.

8. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I've used navigon on my iPads for 3 years now. Load your maps on wifi at home before you leave and you won't use any data.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Yep hes correct. Annoyingly enough its very easy for me to prove that fact.

With a CDMA iPhone (Verizon/Sprint) you can't do talk and data and when I'm driving using Apple maps navigation and talking (via bluetooth) it will keep on navigating. However if I deviate from my route it will try to reroute and not be able to until I end the phone call.

Anyway point being data usage is pretty small unless like mentioned you are in satellite view and then its uses quite a bit of data.

You can always experiment for yourself. Goto Settings > Cellular. Reset it then start using navigation in your daily travels, then check Setting > Cellular > Maps and it will tell you how much data you used. With some simple math you should get a pretty good idea of how much data it uses.

10. aajeevlin, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014

aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I don't think you need to worry all at all. For my previous job, I had to drive 200 miles a day to and from work, four days a week. I turn my GPS on ALL the time. Not because I don't know the way, but GPS like Waze can tell you information on police head, object head, car on the side of the road, and most importantly traffic to avoid. I have also gotten into the habit of using GPS every where I go, again, just to avoid traffic and such.

I can tell you that I have never in a single month broken 2.5GB of data usage on cellular. As far as I can tell, these things use very little amount data (the data usage quoted above also includes my normal usage).