iPhone as Modem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Towhead, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Towhead macrumors regular

Apparently, it's possible to use the iPhone as a modem:

http://dragonforged.com/blog/2007/09/tethering-the-iphone-for-os-x.html#more

Considering that I have 1.5Mb and it's sufficient for my needs, surfing, occasional download, and that according to AT&T 3G is available in my area, and that the iPhone (which I have never seen) is going to be 3G soon, why not just dump DSL, Qwest (voice), and put all the money into a 3G plan?

1. Will the data service be unlimited?
    2. How fast is 3G? Can we realize 512KBytes minimum?

Here's how I see it. The iPhone on its cradle will service my laptop and PS3 via WiFi, and of course, I'll be able to surf while on the commode ... in the car ... in the waiting line ... etc.

Any comments?

2. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I used to use my old Windows Smartphone (Samsung Blackjack) as a 3G BT modem, and can't wait for the day when you can do this on the new iPhone.

I'll bet the carriers will try to extract more $$$, but the rest of the world won't put up with the craptacular data rates and costs of the US. That means the world's rising tide will lift the level of service from US carriers!

That means YOU AT&T!

3. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I'm not sure what AT&T rules on fair usage are but once you go over a set amount of mb per day/week they will usually give you a warning and then if you do repeat it they will usually take action. I don't think you would get good online game play with your PS3 because it's relying on a cell tower and not a close range wifi network or wired network. Really if you are able to use the new 3G iPhone (legitimately or not) I wouldn't use it for anything but light surfing on your laptop while out and about. Which kinda defeats the point of having an iPhone.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

With the current iPhone the tethering does not work well at all. Some pages load, others do not. Pain the butt to set up and you have to revert all the settings you put on your mac to get normal wireless back going. Really not worth the effort and headache.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

use the search button we already had a thread on this.

the data plan will not be unlimited even if it says "unlimited data". they have like a 5GB cap on them and once you start using that much they will probably start charging you more or cancel your service probably because you arent supposed to be tethering without a tethering plan.

its just a dumb idea.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yeah, I recall reading something about "unlimited" = 5GB cap on data.

7. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I don't know - I think the rest of the world already demands better data options at better prices. As Apple releases this phone worldwide, I think it will bring tremendous pressure on carriers in all countries to start hitting a minimum bar (or ceiling) as far as how much they can charge for throughput and total bits in a month - Or at least I hope so, as US carriers suck compared to overseas.