iPhone as only phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StingerT125, Jun 10, 2008.

1. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I don't currently have a cell phone but I will be buying the 3G phone when it is available and I was wondering does anybody have the iPhone (or any cell phone) as their only phone? Do you still have a land line?

I keep thinking about my current monthly land line phone fees and then with the iPhone fees on top of it may be too much.

If you only have the one, how has it worked out for you?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, use my iphone as my only phone and have cable for internet (no TV). Works great.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, until a couple of days ago I still had a land line. But in the last year, I've used it maybe twice. That is if you don't count the endless stream of telemarketer calls. We finally canceled the landline because we were so annoyed with telemarketers. But, seeing as how we never used it, it was just an extra $40 a month.

So really, the iPhone has been the only phone for each me and my wife for almost a year. No problems.

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yep, kept my land line because I like using a "regular" phone for extended conversations without watching the clock.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I have the base phone plan for the iphone and I have so many roll over minutes it isn't funny.

6. meagain macrumors 68030

We were paying about $35-37 for our land line. I held off for a while. It was a bad idea. I ditched the land line and haven't missed it but once when I wanted to send a fax. I gave it to my husband to take to work and I can easily get to a place to fax. I should've done it sooner.

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

haha, same. I don't really ever have to worry about going over my minutes now.

I don't have a landline. I've had no problems with AT&T's service and it's nice not paying for a phone I won't use.

You get so many off hours minutes that there's no way you can use them all in a month (and the other plans have unlimited). That's probably when most of my talking occurs anyway.

8. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

We almost never use our landline here. Just our cellphones, my gf and I. But since our apartment has absolute crap for cell phone reception (any carrier, this place is a black hole) we keep our Vonage subscription just for important phone calls that can not be disrupted. But we almost never use it and we will be canceling it whenever we move out to an apartment with enough reception.

I suggest take the 30-40 bucks you are spending on a land line and get a good data package, text messaging package and extra minutes for your cell phone/Iphone. Land lines are for dinosaurs ;) Plus there is the convenience of having only one number for people to call to get a hold of you, and all your contacts being with you all the time (our land line doesn't remember our contacts).

9. StingerT125 thread starter macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Well I've got until 7/11 to decide. I am really leaning towards dropping the land line - can the land line number be transferred?

If you have a problem with the phone and it needs to be serviced will they give you a loaner?

Those are the 2 concerns I have so far.

10. meagain macrumors 68030

Yes - you can move your land line number to the iPhone (I did).
    Yes - you can get a loaner phone but I believe it'll cost ya. You should get a cheapo SIM card accepting phone to dump your card into if you have a problem.

I bought a 3g Razr for about $35 bucks when I signed up for AT&T at Costco, then bought the iPhone, took it home, swapped the SIM and upgraded to data. Then sold the 3g Razr on Ebay for $155. :)

11. passingXstorm macrumors regular

I have the land line for my Dish net work receiver and internet, hardly ever use the phone. lol

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I haven't had a landline in about 7 years ....

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

+1

14. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Most of my friends have only a cell phone, but I have the 500 minute Vonage package too. it's 14.95, and I've had my landline number for awhile. It is also a business phone, but most of my business is done through my cell phone anyway. I'm never home. I also use it for a fax.

If I weren't running a business out of my home, I probably would get rid of it.

15. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i haven't had a landline since my first cell phone (startac). bought it in 98, turned 18, moved out of my parents and never bought a home phone. I switch between my iphone and a few different sony ericsson phones as my day to day.
    the only time i could think of when i would want a landline was if i wasn't home and didn't feel like being reached. but then i leave my phone in the car or simply turn it off. i don't understand the point of why people have them anymore.

16. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well, if your mobile phone breaks or is stole you have no phone now. Thats the only reason I can think of having a land line.

17. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I haven't had a land line in my house for about 9 years either. I use my iPhone exclusively, and my wife has a VZW EnV (for now). To me, the landline was a useless expense.

18. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

just simply get a new sim card. simple as that.

19. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I wasn't saying it was a good reason. Just that a reason to have a land line is that they can't be stolen or broken as easily.

20. StingerT125 thread starter macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I'm leaning towards switching off the land line and transferring the number. I wonder if I'll be able to do that with activation at the Apple store or if I will have to go to an ATT store? I'll check with an ATT store this weekend.

21. meagain macrumors 68030

They probably won't know or will pull something out of their butt that won't be accurate. I'd just be patient for more hardcore news on how it's going to go down. But if it goes down in-store, what a nightmare it'll all be.

22. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

No land line in about 4 years. The only reason I can see for ANYONE to have a land line is that its the only access to the internet you can get.

23. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

have a landline for all those 08 numbers that o2 rip you off for!

plus landline is linked to house alarm - rings when there's a problem - though there is a sim card slot...

thinking about it now, i could get rid of it, though very few people have my landline number and sometimes it's nice to shut myself away from the rest of the world but still be reachable my people like mum.

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

+2

25. rioja macrumors regular

landline free for a year. i use my Nokia for VOIP calls but want to use my iPhone for everything... as soon as I find a solid SIP service app for it.