iphone as remote / airplay issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rizzjm3, Mar 13, 2011.

1. rizzjm3 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to apple tv and I'm a big fan so far. Everything is working great so far with one exception. I'm having trouble with using iPhone as a remote and AirPlay. I am able to get these functions to work when I reset the atv2 but sometimes they do not work. I'm fully upgraded to IOS 4.3 in both atv2 and iphone4. Anyone else having this problem or should I exchange the atv2. It's not a problem with iPhone since I have two phones with same issue.

2. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

What router? And is home sharing turned on?

3. 87am macrumors regular

Same issues here!!! On linksys E3000. Home sharing is switched on for all devices.

4. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

After some tinkering the xbmotec is working good..

iphone remote workds good too...but I never update *****.....

5. rizzjm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes all settings are correct- I have that option turned on with both devices ---my router is a medialink n router

You think the router matters?

6. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

Probably not. Is the medialink dual band? 2.4 and 5? Just throwing ideas out.

Are you sure you are on the same network? Ie, a wireless Verizon router hooked medialink so 2 networks?

7. rizzjm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont think its dual band---just 2.4

Sure its the same network---

You think plugging the apple tv into the router instead of wifi would help?

8. adbe macrumors 6502a

Quite probably.

9. profets macrumors 68040

I've been experiencing the same problems with AirPlay not showing up.

-I have an Apple TV connected with ethernet.
    -Any computers on the network with ethernet will show Airplay (Apple TV) in iTunes.
    -As soon as I connect the computer to the network using wifi the Airplay ability disappears.
    -Any iPhones connected using wifi will not show Airplay.
    -Using the laptop or iPhone on a completely different network that has an Apple TV they both have Airplay work fine over wifi.

Wireless access point on the network where Airplay doesn't work over wifi is a Cisco E3000. Its currently running simultaneous dualband with same SSID/security. Not sure how the iPhone 4 is connecting (which band/speed) so going to play around with it.

Very annoying that Airplay doesn't work. All devices are visible to each other, no network/connection issues at all. I'd love to hear any feedback from others that experienced this at all.

10. rizzjm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

resolved

My probelm has been resolved for now. I now have my ATV2 connected directly to my router instead of wifi. Also I downloaded the latest "Remote" app update. I haven't had this problem since I made these two changes.

However I have had a couple of problems where ATV wouldn't show up on the screen and I had to reset. Seems like this little box isn't short of issues----but I'm not complaining...yet.

11. profets macrumors 68040

Resolved mine last night as well.

It was definitely an issue with wireless settings on the router. Played around a bit and then iPhones connected with wifi were able to see the Apple TV under Airplay.