iPhone as time capsule device

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yawa, Dec 15, 2009.

1. yawa macrumors member

Is it possible to put the iphone in disk mode and then use it as a time capsule backup device?

Id like to have a copy of my macbook pro on my phone incase the HD blows.

Only problem i can see is that to put the iphone in diskmode it requires software on the mac and so probably wont be able to read from it if i need to rebuild the machine.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

This is not something I think I would ever consider. It's not possible with an unjailbroken iPhone anyway.

Just get an external drive.

3. burns863 macrumors newbie

I really don't like to shoot people down, but I have to be honest here.

....Thats one of the worse ideas I have ever heard.

4. yawa thread starter macrumors member

Why? i carry it around all the time. Its essentially a portable HD.

So sorry to shoot you down...but i dont think it is.

5. jciapara macrumors regular

No, No

I also think is a terrible idea, I suppose you have the 32GB? to make it worthwhile to use as a back up disk(not really), I think what you mean is to make it a portable usb drive? like if you were carrying around a usb flash drive? Otherwise why would you be carrying around your back up Hard Drive?.

If what you want is the flash drive option, there is an application on Cydia called USB Drive, it basically let's you partition your iPhone's flash memory, so one part can be used as a USB M:confused:emory while using the rest for normal iPhone operation. Google the application an you can see more details.

But as a Back Up HD, not recommended nor useful IMO.

6. yawa thread starter macrumors member

But using it to have an image of my macbook pro is somehow a bad idea?

Sorry i again disagree. I dont have gigs and gigs of data to backup so i dont see the problem.

And yeah something similar to what you suggested so cheers for that.

Again the usefulness of using it as a backup device is personal preference. So for you maybe its not useful but for many others with not much data it could be useful.

7. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

My home pc (not mac) has 6TB of storage used and I'm using windows 7 so the initial installation is quite large as well. My iPhone is 16GB so I'd honestly doubt it could hold even the OS installation should this option be plausable to me.

With that said, I agree with the OP that this is personal preference. My old EEEPC had a 16GB SSD in it and I could obviously backup an image of that to an external drive of a similar size, like an iPhone in disk mode, and use it quite comfortably.
    I have never used Time Capsule but doesn't the disk need to be formatted in such a way for your Mac to use the device to backup to?
    Obviously, try it and see how it goes. That's always your best bet.

8. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Dude just use DropBox. At least that way you can control specifically what gets synced.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Keeping backups in a safe place = Good, safe idea.

Carying your backup around in your pocket all day on a fragile device = Not such a great idea.

That's not a "personal preference." That's a simple fact. Backups should be kept in a safer place than the computer itself, not a less secure place.

Yeah, either that or Mozy.com. There are tons of cheap online backup places now all of which are much more easy, safe, and automatic than using an iPhone. That's the biggest problem with your iPhone plan. It's not automatic. I'd only suggest a service that backs up for you rather than making you do it manually. Most of these online site will do that.

10. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

What he said ^^^ Common sense really

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

I constantly see external drives with 500GB of storage for around $50.

I bet you can find a FW or USB 2.0 drive with a lot less storage for closer to $20. Maybe even multiple drive of similar size to your iPhone for $20 even!

It just seems like a lot of hassle to go through for a measly amount of storage on a 'fragile' backup.

Time Capsule requires enough storage space to mirror your entire computer to make a back-up possible. I don't think your Phone will have enough really...and as others are saying, you are just making it a glorified flash drive.

You also are lowering the potential functionality of your phone by limiting how many songs, movies, and apps you can store in the future if your entire iPhone drive is taken up with backup.

So short answer is NO you cannot use your iPhone as a Time Capsule device although you can store files on it if you wish.

12. lollicup macrumors regular

Im going to agree with everyone else

its a pretty dumb idea ( OP you aren't convincing anyone )

you can get a TB drive for under $100 bucks

13. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

That would be the most expensive and least functional backup alternative out there.

Is this a joke?