iPhone as very simple "computer"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abasak, Sep 1, 2011.

1. abasak macrumors newbie

I just wanna throw this idea/question out there if the following will be possible in iOS5?

If you have a monitor connected with an ATV2, would it in theory be possible to mirror your iPhone screen onto the display, and at the same time have a bluetooth keyboard connected to the iPhone?

In that case you could use your iPhone as a very very simple desktop computer. I'm primarily thinking typing up small docs and other lightweight jobs... where you use the keyboard for typing (duh :)) and have the iPhone next to it for navigation and moving the cursor etc.

I know this probably sounds stupid, and I'm not sure this is a setup that I would use, but the possibility is intriguing for some stuff.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

At this time true mirroring hasn't been announced for the iPhone, but many of the apps will be AirPlay enabled. Knowing what limitations are around "video out" and apps on the the iPhone your scenario is valid.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Motorola already has this... it's called Webtop.
    Most are familiar with the Lapdock or the Media dock, but you don't actually need the hardware.
    Any BT keyboard will work (I used my Apple BT keyboard from my iMac).
    The phones screen becomes a touch mouse.

Getting the video to the TV does require a mini HDMI cable as you can't mirror the display over WiFi yet.

Neat gimmick, but even if they manage to implement screen mirroring over WiFi it's not real practical.