iPhone as VoIP/ Wi-Fi phone only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Nov 2, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

Is it possible to use/ activate the iPhone just as a VoIP/ Wi-Fi phone without using a SIM/ cellular contract and service?

I rarely use the cellular network and pay unnecessary fees. And so I want to ditch my cellular plan and just use Wi-Fi, Skype and such tools.

Let me know

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't see why not. Insert a sim card and you basically have a 4g iPod touch. :p

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

But I was curious if it would work at all if I cancel my cellular contract and have a SIM in? I assume it would just say "No Service" and I can switch to Wi-Fi, right?

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That's correct.

But why even leave the SIM in? You can try this by taking your SIM card out. :confused:

5. pcunite macrumors member

I don't think you even need a SIM card to do what you want. Take the SIM out and the iPhone becomes an iPod ...

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Monthly bring you down?

Try metered Pre-paid. Pay for only what you use, nothing more.

Cellular still available for emergencies.

7. fiat macrumors newbie

Of course you can. Just use iphone as wifi only ipad. I have a wifi only ipad in which I intall/use skype and talkatune for free call/message. However, as other posters mentioned I keep my iphone cellular call function (by prepaid plan) for away from home emergency purpose.