Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hi there

Is it possible to use/ activate the iPhone just as a VoIP/ Wi-Fi phone without using a SIM/ cellular contract and service?

I rarely use the cellular network and pay unnecessary fees. And so I want to ditch my cellular plan and just use Wi-Fi, Skype and such tools.

Let me know

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
But I was curious if it would work at all if I cancel my cellular contract and have a SIM in? I assume it would just say "No Service" and I can switch to Wi-Fi, right?

I don't see why not. Insert a sim card and you basically have a 4g iPod touch. :p

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
I don't think you even need a SIM card to do what you want. Take the SIM out and the iPhone becomes an iPod ...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Monthly bring you down?

Try metered Pre-paid. Pay for only what you use, nothing more.

Cellular still available for emergencies.

fiat

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
Of course you can. Just use iphone as wifi only ipad. I have a wifi only ipad in which I intall/use skype and talkatune for free call/message. However, as other posters mentioned I keep my iphone cellular call function (by prepaid plan) for away from home emergency purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.