iPhone as wifi adapter for Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yonyz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. yonyz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I tried using Personal Hotspot on my iphone when it's connected via usb to my mac but it uses 3G and I already used 95% of the data for this month. So I wonder if there's an app or whatever to do the same but make the iphone use wifi instead of 3G?

I'm trying to figure out if I can avoid buying a wifi adapter since I'll only need wifi for 3 days.

2. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Don't understand the question. Why not use your mac's wifi function?

3. yonyz thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it doesn't have wifi, it's a hackintosh.

4. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

No. You can't have iPhone connect to wifi network and then have the mac use the wifi network via Personal Hotspot. You might be better off getting a cheap data sim for the next three days? If the phone is network locked, I have an old Nokia E5 that I use for that purpose. You probably won't be able to get that in the next three days, but maybe for the future....

5. cynics macrumors G3

I believe you can do this via JB using MyWii and TetherMe. I'm not 100% sure though and I don't have a way of testing for you.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might be simpler getting some cheap USB WiFi adapter for the computer given everything.

7. cynics macrumors G3

I agree. Be able to utilize both the hackintosh and iPhone better that way.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can do that by using MyWi. But you need to be JB. Its not gonna happen on stock ios.
    MyWi takes the wifi connection and then shares the wifi internet with the computer plugged in via USB to your iphone.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This would be useful in venues that (for some reason) give free WiFi access to iPhones but make you pay if you want to connect with a laptop.

I've tried it too, to no avail.