iPhone as wifi router?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oracle1729, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

Can you use the iPhone personal hotspot as a router with multiple connected devices?

I'm trying to use a wi-fi enabled camera to send pictures to my laptop and also upload to a flickr account. I don't have any internet access at the location, so I would like to use my iPhone personal hotspot as an internet connection.

The problem is if I put the camera in direct mode, the laptop is connected to the camera and can't access the internet through the iPhone.

Ideally I'd like to connect the camera and laptop both to the iPhone, and have the pictures transfer from the camera to a hotfolder on the laptop, so the laptop will automatically process the images and upload them to flickr.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, when you have the ability to use the personal hotspot then multiple devices can connect to your phone and use its internet.
    Not sure what the issue is with your camera, you'd have to check with the manufacturer.
    But the iphone can transmit to more than one device at a time.

3. Oracle1729 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know I can connect multiple devices to the internet through the iPhone, but my question is can I connect multiple devices to each other using the iPhone as a router without using any cellular data through the iPhone.

At home, I can unplug my router from my cablemodem and the devices on my wireless network can still talk to each other, just not connect to the internet. Can the iPhone work the same way?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    That's not what the personal hotspot does.
    It's just to share Internet.