iPhone at Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jake36wi41, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jake36wi41 macrumors member

So did anyone else have the pleasure of spending the last few nights at lollapalooza in Chicago COMPLETELY unable to access any data while standing directly in front of the AT&T Stage? I attempted to call at&t customer service and complain only to find my calls wouldn't go through either. Amazing.

If this worthless company didn't have this phone...

2. nosaj070 macrumors newbie

Same thing here, absolutely awful. Standing less than a quarter mile from downtown chicago and getting no service. I couldn't even send texts, while all my Verizon (Who is just switched from) friends were laughing at me as they were texting away.

3. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Ridiculous. The iPhone survived Rage though. So there's that at least.

4. jhkaplan macrumors regular

My reception was better yesterday than it was on Friday, but not sure if that's because I was standing farther back (wasn't going anywhere close to the stage for Rage). But even yesterday, I was getting text messages an hour or so late. Made it a PITA to meet up with people.

5. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

I was just in front of the sound booth for both nights and it was just insulting to look up at the stage and see the big att sign on top of the stage and not being able to check baseball scores or call my friends who weren't there. Maybe tonight will be better. Not that I care about Kanye :p

6. The General macrumors 601

That's okay, you can laugh at them for having the world's most awful phones and for getting the world's worst customer service. ;)

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

How are people's reception in that area NOT during Lollapalooza? I am going to be near there a LOT of the time when I move to Chicago

8. dubious macrumors newbie

Chicago att reception blows in general. It's supposedly covered with 3g but I don't get it most of the time. Downtown reception is the worst. Hopefully, it improves.

9. manchoi44 macrumors member

Network Saturation

Actually, I work/live in the loop and haven't had any issues with reception. I was at Lollapalooza 2 years ago with T-mobile, and had the same issues. What I'm assuming happens is that so many people are using the same towers (seeing as how there are close to over 100,000 people at Lolla on any given day) and the GSM towers just don't have the bandwidth to compensate the spike in traffic for those days.

Otherwise, I have been a GSM network user in Chicago for 5 years now and haven't noticed any issues otherwise.

10. DISkordia macrumors newbie

i was there with the old model iphone. it was awful. if i did even manage to get 3 bars, i couldnt do anything but make a call (which doesn't work around loud music.) and sometimes that didn't even work. Im sure the amount of people usin the network could explain the horrible texting but not the lack of signal. most of the time i was gettin NOTHING. like being in the middle of the woods in northern wisconsin. hell, i get better coverage up there.

however, I swore i saw someone using and iphone immediately after NIN with very good reception..while i was gettin none. maybe it was the 3G?

i was at lolla two years ago with cingular and a Razr and it worked decent. ATT screwed it all up

11. DISkordia macrumors newbie

as everyone was yellin on the other side of the fest "**** KANYE" haha!
    Reznor had 3 moving screens that were light and touch sensitive. I've never seen a more impressive stage show

oh..wait this is about ATT sucking. sorry ;P

12. plasticlung macrumors newbie

I had 3G turned off the first night and had a lot of problems. The second and third night though things were better with 3G on. I could make calls and send txt msgs even though it said I had no service, which I found amusing. ATT coverage was a lot better today though.

And yes the NIN show was spectacular.

13. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'd just like to add that i was camping this weekend. I had full service and data was as fast as Wi-fi. We were able to keep track of a storm that was heading right for us!!

14. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Dont worry, the Cubs won most of the weekend :)

the Southsiders, well who cares...

15. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Radiohead was impressive as well light show-wise. Can't wait to see it again at the Hollywood bowl in 3 weeks.

Back on topic, my 3g was rough this morning while stranded at o'hare. Rebooking flights only worked when I switched it off and went edge only. My phone will be happy to be out of chicago :p

16. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Twins fan here. Weekend worked out well for us too ;-)

17. boch82 macrumors 6502

I wasnt a lolla but ive been to other music festivals (ACL and Bonaroo) both places have had terrible service. There are 60,000 people (at least at ACL) and with that many people trying to connect to the same tower you can expect there to be delays and service issues. This happend both when I was with Verizon and now with ATT