Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
This might sound complicated but I can't really find any answers by searching. So I'm currently thinking about getting an iPhone to replace my current cell phone but I'm already on AT&T right now and out of contract. If I get an iPhone then I'll have to sign another 2 year AT&T contract so the smart thing to do is upgrade my current phone before activating my new iPhone. So I've logged into my account at AT&T to see my upgrade options and I see that I can get an Aircard 875u. My question is if I were to get the aircard would the iPhone data plan work with this or would I have to have a separate data plan for the aircard? The offered unlimited data plans for the aircard are like $60 a month while the iPhone is only $20. So if I could get the aircard for $50 bucks after mail-in rebate and use the iPhones's $20 data plan that would be a great deal. So could I take my iPhone's sim card out and put it in the aircard to use the iPhone's data plan? I just don't know if it's possible. If it requies a separate data plan then I wouldn't think about it. Does anybody know if this would work? Hopefully you understand what I'm thinking about.

Thanks

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Yes it will work.

All you have to do is in the software (I think Connections Manager or whatever comes with it) ensure that the APN is wap.cingular instead of isp.cingular, and that the username is WAP@cingulargprs.com and password CINGULAR1 . That way you won't be charged icky PPU data.

And I tether with my Samsung with my iPhone SIM.

ted124b

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
This might sound complicated but I can't really find any answers by searching. So I'm currently thinking about getting an iPhone to replace my current cell phone but I'm already on AT&T right now and out of contract. If I get an iPhone then I'll have to sign another 2 year AT&T contract so the smart thing to do is upgrade my current phone before activating my new iPhone. So I've logged into my account at AT&T to see my upgrade options and I see that I can get an Aircard 875u. My question is if I were to get the aircard would the iPhone data plan work with this or would I have to have a separate data plan for the aircard? The offered unlimited data plans for the aircard are like $60 a month while the iPhone is only $20. So if I could get the aircard for $50 bucks after mail-in rebate and use the iPhones's $20 data plan that would be a great deal. So could I take my iPhone's sim card out and put it in the aircard to use the iPhone's data plan? I just don't know if it's possible. If it requies a separate data plan then I wouldn't think about it. Does anybody know if this would work? Hopefully you understand what I'm thinking about.

Thanks

I have this same question. I want to know if using the iPhone SIM in one of their laptop connect cards violates any Att policies and also if you simply do it using the software the connect card provides. I can currently tether my mac to my razr using my iPhone sim and use unlimited data but the process of connecting is clumsy and I would much prefer simply using the software that comes with the connect cards..

Has anyone tried this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.