iPhone AT&T discounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maxington, May 28, 2008.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

I have heard that if you currently have a 20% or so discount for your AT&T service and upgrade to an iPhone you loose this discount. Is this true?

What if you had a family plan with a regular phone as the main line and an iPhone as a secondary line? Could you keep the discount on the main line?

2. atluten macrumors 6502

Unfortunately it's true. I had a student discount and it was wiped after I replaced my phone with the iPhone. As for your second question, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about it can chime in. Cheers.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

My corporate discount cannot be applied to the iPhone either! However, since I called up At&t and asked why and told them that I was told that the discount worked, they credited me a one time credit of $50 or so. :D

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

If your primary line is a Non iPhone Line, then you will still get the discount on the family plan.

I currently have 4 lines under my family plan and still getting the the premier discount.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If you have a family plan, as long as an iPhone is not the primary line you'll keep your discount. I have a family plan with 3 phones, 2 are iPhones, the non-iPhone is my primary line and I get a 27% discount every month.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

True, unfortunately for my AT&T corporate partnership account. I use to get a 25% discount on everything, then I went with two iPhones and poof, though I still get a discount here and there for my landline, DSL and accessories on a Blackberry, it's never been the same. :(

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

what you should have done was add a third line on your Family plan and set that as the primary line. The extra 9.99 a month you will pay a month will easily be covered by your monthly 25% discount along with selling the new phone that came along with your newly added line.

8. coachfreak macrumors member

Ditto! I get the discount on my family plan (on the $80) but not on the two $20 plans for each of my iphones. Your primary line just has to be one of the non-iphones.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks, I'll take care of that tomorrow morning! I appreciate the advice and the savings! :p

11. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Really?

I keep hearing conflicting reports on this. Seems like some people are now keeping the discounts while others aren't. I know AT&T offers "business plans" on it now...so I wonder if some companies are now getting a discount extended for personal use?

Is anyone else getting a discount on their iPhone line now?

12. RobUM macrumors newbie

I get 10% student/business discount specifically allotted to smartphones (iPhone included)...this comes with an extra 200 free text messages a month as well...

13. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I think I can get a corporate discount on the iPhone but I have a choice :)

Either I can get a 40% discount on the phone and sign a two year contract or

Get 17% off the bill

14. macwh0re macrumors member

15. wanderlust79 macrumors newbie

From what I can gather, and assuming that the monthly fees for the voice plans do not go up with the new iPhone Plans, it seems that the "Enterprise" monthly charge for data eats up the discount that they will let you "retain" on your voice plans.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/iphone/

The monthly for the iPhone plans are $45, $55 and $65, respectively. These are a full $25 higher than the personal iPhone data plans. They are being "generous" and giving back the $25 difference through Dec 08, but after that, the discount disappears.

From that page, I can't gather what the enterprise plan offers that the personal doesn't. Net result is that the non-Premier pricing when added altogether winds up being less than the new Enterprise plans.

16. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Similar to several people - I have my iPhone on a family plan and the main line is a BlackBerry with 25% off the whole bill...

17. joekun macrumors regular

Employees of the company I work for get a 15% discount on AT&T service. I currently have Sprint and am waiting for the new iphone to switch to get the iphone for me and a standard phone for my wife. Can you choose which phone is your main line? Any advice to make sure that I can take advantage of this discount? I don't want to switch early in case they offer discounts subsidies on the phone.

18. Tomass04 macrumors newbie

I get a discount as well I think it's like 15% but I don't have a iphone yet. One way maybe to get around it is to buy the iphone from a mac store. I bought the palm treo I have now from palm online and at&t never even knew I had it.