Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro iPhone AT&T - payment in full

Sinisa Nikolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
Dears,

I hope someone can provide clear answer quickly :)
I am planning to purchase AT&T iPhone 12 Pro with “payment in full” as option. According to Apple site, when purchased with full payment, this phone will be unlocked.
But there is a question about activation.
I am from Europe and my sister in USA would pick up the phone for me. Is there some concern in doing this way - am I going to be able to activate it from Europe or some other issue in order to use local Europe sim card? Is this completely same option as buying it SIM free?

Thanks in advance,
Sinisa

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Are you buying at the Apple site? Or ATT site?

If Apple site, you could just get the SIM free model. Therefore there is no worry about the provided ATT SIM.

Reactions: bhodinut and mcru21

Sinisa Nikolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
I am buying from Apple site but with In Store pick up solution. And if I select SIM free model, there is no in store pick up stock, while AT&T models are still there available. My sister is in USA for couple days more so I was considering this way.

macnmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
Dears,

I hope someone can provide clear answer quickly :)
I am planning to purchase AT&T iPhone 12 Pro with “payment in full” as option. According to Apple site, when purchased with full payment, this phone will be unlocked.
But there is a question about activation.
I am from Europe and my sister in USA would pick up the phone for me. Is there some concern in doing this way - am I going to be able to activate it from Europe or some other issue in order to use local Europe sim card? Is this completely same option as buying it SIM free?

Thanks in advance,
Sinisa

lol i feel like im reading a love letter... and you should buy from apple unlocked, i dont trust providers to sell you unlocked phones

Sinisa Nikolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
I cannot buy sim free from Apple because its out of stock. There is some stock left if carriers are selected, that’s why I ask if buying full price carrier phone from Apple store gives me unlocked phone or not...

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I saw report someplace of someone doing so successfully. Pulled the SIM and inserted their SIM.

ACURA2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
I cannot buy sim free from Apple because its out of stock. There is some stock left if carriers are selected, that’s why I ask if buying full price carrier phone from Apple store gives me unlocked phone or not...
If you select an At&T iphone and you pay it in full the iPhone will be UN-LOCKED, per Apple website it says All iPhone models are unlocked except those purchased with AT&T Installment Plans, so if you don't select an installment plan, your At&T iPhone will be un-locked, simple as that. **This must be purchased through Apple.com or at the Apple store, NOT an At&T store, if you buy it from an At&T store most likely it will be LOCKED.

Illini Al

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2019
Bolingbrook, IL
I purchased my ATT XS through Apple with Payment in Full, and it came unlocked. It is supposed to come unlocked if paid in full.

Last edited:

Sinisa Nikolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
I just placed the order for tomorrow pick up from Apple store. I told my sister to try to insert her T-mobile sim card during pick up so I will let you know if it was really unlocked haha :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.