iPhone AT&T SIM card with T-Mobile iPad mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by derosm2, Dec 24, 2013.

1. derosm2 macrumors newbie

Is there a way to swap in my AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan sim card from my iPhone 5S in to my T-Mobile iPad mini retina?

I've done some research suggesting this was possible, but I have not been able to actually successfully get data from AT&T's network on my iPad. I would think AT&T doesn't want me doing this but that doesn't mean it can't be done...

Thanks for you help!

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

I am sorta in the same boat.

Trying to use an att sim in my tmobile iPad mini (retina) but I have had some luck. (Not complete but better than nothing). Go to unlockit.co.nz select the att hspa+ profile and disable lte on the device.

No lte but better than nothing.

I am looking for a better answer but have found nothing.

3. derosm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got LTE on AT&T to connect! I was able to get LTE working by following your steps and connecting via 4G first. Then after successfully connected to AT&T's network, I turned LTE back on. Just did a speed test and was getting around 30Mbps on my T-Mobile iPad Mini Retina using the AT&T sim! Awesome! Thanks for the help!

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Wonderful I guess I should have come back and edited my post when I discovered that too. Cheers!

5. ssdaytona macrumors member

You guys haven't had any issue with AT&T putting you in a mobile share plan?

I have an unlimited AT&T iPhone plan that I'd like to use in my iPad also

6. derosm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't used it much in my ipad, but I have a few times and still have my unlimited data plan.

7. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

derosm2 What was the added cost? I also have unlimited data.

Do you keep LTE continually? I've heard you don't need a contract and can turn off/on whenever you want/need to.

8. derosm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't received any additional charges from AT&T and no charges from T-Mobile. I haven't really used my AT&T sim in the T-Mobile ipad that much though.