iPhone (Attaching files in a e-mail)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namji, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Is there a way to add multiple attachments to a new e-mail and adding attachment to replies to e-mails?
    It seems that you can only forward attachments from existing messages.

This seems pretty awkward especially for users coming from Blackberry devices where I can attach as many files as I want with new messages and existing messages.

Thanks in advance.

2. patp Guest

as crazy as it sound, you cannot compose an email and add an attachment to it.
    like you said, you can forward an attachment.

photos, you go into the picture library, select a picture and you can email from the gallery. but you cannot start the email and add anything to it attachment wise.
    same for ipads, ipod touches.
    crazy, i know.

3. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Hmmm so yeah.. this the only thing so far that is disappointing about the iphone and how Apple is suggesting this device is appropriate for business users? So many restrictions on a great phone... :(

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You can paste in text or images. That works for most things. :apple:

5. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I also just paste images if I need to. It's sort of inconvenient though, I agree.

6. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Its not the images per say... but the actual e-mails I am replying to that I can not add any attachments to.

For example, when a client or a friend sends me a message with information and requests a document.. I can not reply to the same e-mail and add the attachment. I have to create a new / compose a new e-mail to send documents with the iphone.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It won't solve all your problems, but it'll help if you get the app named 'Files.'

It works like a USB drive. You can plug into iTunes and use the 'apps' tab to drag anything into and out of it. When you are in 'Files' on the iPhone you can hit 'edit' and select multiple files and e-mail them from there.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/files/id285578660?mt=8

8. doubleaa macrumors regular

I wish DropBox would add the capability to select files and email from their app. That would be sweet.

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Welcome to life as an iPhone user!

10. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I keep all my attachments in documents to go. You can save attachments from an email to docs to go and you can also email attachments from documents to go.

11. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

I may have to carry two phones... iPhone for entertainment... I guess lol and Blackberry for my business. :eek:

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

GoodReader is an excellent iOS file manager. Support for Google Docs file storage, MobileMe iDisk, DropBox and others. You can download attachements in to GoodReader and compose emails containing attached files from GoodReader. Files inside GoodReader can be sorted in to folders, renamed, deleted, copied and pushed back on to MobileMe iDisk, DropBox, Google Docs, etc.

Highly, highly recommended. It'll do everything you want in terms of file management. Best couple of bucks you'll ever spend on your iPhone.

For creation of MS Office docs, DocsToGo is a decent solution and it also supports emailing attachments.

13. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

I do

14. Donny Jepp macrumors member

15. robmac, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

robmac macrumors newbie

16. svenn macrumors 6502

I agree the attaching process needs work. I'm curious what type of documents you are trying to attach though? I thought the only files you can attach and send from the phone are the jpgs, and you can copy/paste those in a reply. I would love to find out how to deal with other types of attachments too.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

GoodReader. It'll solve all your problems.