iPhone Attachment Limits?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weevil, Jun 23, 2008.

1. weevil macrumors newbie

Now the iPhone has gone to 3G, I am seriously thinking about trading in my BlackBerry.

The biggest problem (for me) is that attachments on the BlackBerry are limited in file size. i.e I can't attach and send anything 3mb+. I can receive 4mbish tops but anything over, I get the message "email truncated due to file size".

I really need to be able to send and receive attachments much larger than this if I am away from my Mac.

I subscribe to .Mac and figured that the new iPhone should work really well with my macmail/Safari/mobileme.

Is it time to ditch the BlackBerry and go for the iPhone? Any opinions or facts relating to switching to iPhone and the attachments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think the iPhone's limit is the same as your email's limit.

3. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that.

My Blackberry was set up to receive all my email from my .mac email account.

.mac email has a limit of 20mb per attachment but the BlackBerry wouldn't take anything over 3-4mb.

Am I right in thinking that I could accept an email with a 20mb (or just under) attachment to an iPhone?

If so, then the iPhone is the way for me.

4. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

out of curiosity...how did you find what your email attachment limit was on your .mac account?

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Depends on your email service provider.... Has nothing to do with the iPhone.

6. Baron58 macrumors 6502

For .Mac (and GMail/Yahoo/any other POP or IMAP service), the limit is set by the provider for all your mail regardless of where you check it.

For Exchange servers, and BlackBerry connections (especially via BlackBerry Enterprise Server), there can be different attachment limits for mobile devices vs. regular email clients. So, if you were to use your iPhone with a corporate Exchange server, and they have an attachment-size-limiting policy in place for mobile devices, you would be subject to that as well.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yep, you could download that <20mb file.

8. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac upgraded it last year from 10mb to 20mb

9. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so just to confirm - if I get an iPhone and set it up to receive my .mac mail, I will receive every attachment (whatever size it may be) sent to my .mac account?

Sounds like it's time for the iPhone!

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes.

But, over EDGE the download time of large attachments can be cumbersome. Over WiFi or 3G, larger attachments aren't an issue, but if you are downloading a 10MB or more attachment, it can be slow on the existing iPhone's EDGE network.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

But the real question is, since you wouldn't be able to do anything with that attachment (most likely), is there any reason to need to download it on the phone? Why not just wait until you get back to your computer? I don't know your situation, so I can't give an informed answer.

I receive large CAD files all the time. Serves no purpose to download them to the phone because last I checked, Vectorworks doesn't work on the iphone. That's what we need...iPhone CAD! :p

I know i have even tried do load a 5mb pdf and the phone just kind of laughed at me. Sure, I could download it, but viewing it was another can of worms (might have been because it was large format).

12. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, it's to act as a kind of fail safe backup in case my broadband goes down. I've recently moved and had a situation where (through mistakes by the telephone company) that I was without broadband for a couple of days.

It is vital that I have internet connectivity/access to emails at all times and wanted a secondary way of accessing the web/my emails (with largish attachments) should any further problems with my telephone line arise.

I'm not really bothered about viewing the attachments on the iPhone but I could kind of use it as an external HD. i.e I could save the attachment onto the iPhone and then plug it into my Mac (with USB - presume that is possible?) and copy it over and use my Mac to view/edit whatever file it may be.

I appreciate that it would be slow but as long as it works (as it is only a backup) then that's fine.

Obviously, I need the phone for making calls etc. but thought I could roll everything into one, rather than buying a mobile broadband USB stick or similar.

13. Archie- macrumors regular

I'm not sure this is possible.

14. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Currently I don't know of any way to transfer files to or from my iPhone without internet connection (by forwarding the email). I wish it could be put into a disk mode or I could transfer files and use it as a internet connected flash drive.

15. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I've emailed pdf files that are a couple MB large to the iPhone, and it opens them fine. It works for at least Excel files too.

16. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen some software from Ecamm called PhoneView which says it puts the iPhone effectively into disk mode so you can copy files from the iPhone to a Mac.

I've not used it but it looks like it is the thing to bridge the gap.

Anybody used it?

17. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Highly unreccomendable using apps like that. especially ones which tamper wtih the flash memory and the way it was set up.. thats all i can say to be of use.

18. Project macrumors 68020

I've been emailed 17MB powerpoint files and it downloaded fine.