iPhone audio out on headphone jack question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Sep 7, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i am really starting to get frustrated> i FINALLY got my new car which has AUX plug in it. I was SOO psyched. I figured that i could just run the cable to the car AUX jack and my music AND my phone calls would come through my speakers..

But it doesn't/ Isn't it supposed to??

It plays music through the aux jack just fine, but when i make a call the music fades out and nothing.. i have to flip the speakerphone on, which does nothing for me because the speaker isnt that loud.

I just want to clarify, is the call audio NOT SUPPOSED to come out through the car aux? Is there a setting that i am =missing??

p.s. it works with headphones. I can hear calls AND music through it.

2. Eric. macrumors regular

Does it also send the audio out through normal headphones that don't have a microphone? It may distinguish between the two and not work, hence it would behave just like it is in your car.

3. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

yea. I was using my ipod headphones for a long time becuse they were more comfortable. It just doesnt make ANY sense to me!

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I have used standard headphones (the Apple earbuds just don't work for me, they don't fit in my ears and cause me pain), I have received calls and the sound comes through the headphones but I obviously had to speak into the mic on the iPhone as the set I was using didn't have a mic.

I am not sure why the call would not go through the car speakers, I can only surmise that the iPhone can somehow distinguish that it is pushing sound to a head unit. The only other possibility is to try a different patch cord. Those would be the only two things that could cause this issue.

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i have a second cable, so i will try that tomorrow.. I would be interested to know if the phone could distinguish a car head unit.. but even if it did know it was a car, why wouldnt it put the call through it?!

6. babushnik macrumors newbie

it should work.

hi.
    i have a gen 1 iphone, but i don't think it would make a difference.

i just plugged the iphone into a pair of amplified computer speakers and i made a phone call and the audio came through loud and clear through the computer speakers.

see if you can try using the same cable on another device, like a home stereo, computer speakers, "boombox" with an input, etc... and see if it works.

if not. check your car's owner's manual.

good luck.

7. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i have a gen 1 too.. so if it worked for you, i cant imagine why it wouldnt work for me.. i will try it on other things. I have a stereo i can use it on.

this is off topic but.. babushnik, are you hungarian?? my gramp used to say babushnik all the time.

8. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You will want to try it on something that is just speakers as well. The reason I say that is that when running through a head unit or stereo you are essentially trying it on the same type of device, something that is doing more processing than just passing a signal through.

9. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

gotcha.. i will also try it on the computer speakers at work as a direct line in.

I am just curious also if anyone has gotten a call through their car speakers using the AUX jack.

10. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

so has ANYONE use the AUX outlet to hear calls from?

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I do, all the time. Just out of the headphone jack to the aux input on my car. Works like a charm.

12. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ok.. thanks for that.. now do you have any settings set on your phone?? What type of head unit are you using?

13. hsleiman macrumors regular

I had the same problem as the OP but I think what happens is maybe the iphone distinguishes a car head unit from headphones and lowers the volume when calls come in. That's true in my case at least. When listening to music and a call comes in I answer and can't hear anything through my speakers until I increase the volume on the iPhone. Try increasing the volume again when you get a call and see if that helps.

14. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

AH HAH!! i will do that on my lunch break! that is a silly think to have happen though if that is the case