iPhone audio quality (MP3/AAC)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBrody, Apr 25, 2010.

1. iBrody macrumors 6502

For me, the main reason for owning an iPhone is to have the combined functions of a phone and an iPod, everything else is just a welcomed bonus.

Does anyone else agree that Apple should concentrate on improving the sound quality of the iPhone (when using as an MP3 player)?

Listening to MP3 tracks ripped to 320kbps from my iPhone from a set of Sennheiser IE8 earphones, and then the same tracks at 320kbps on my partner's Cowon S9, I feel disappointed in the lack clarity, and excitement in the iPhone, that can be achieved in the S9.

I just feel that Apple are adding more and more functions to the iPhone to keep ahead of their competitors, but are not concentrating enough on fine-tuning the functions that can still be improved on.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its still the best phone with music functions you'll find out there...and yes that includes SE's Walkman Phones.

Its a phone that plays music (and does so well for the most part) not a dedicated MP3 player

3. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

But to be fair, the audio quality in the iPod Classic isn't brilliant, and that's a dedicated MP3 player

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Fair enough but the reality is most people won't be able to tell the difference...hence the reason Apple won't spring for premium audio decoding chips

5. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I suppose if I hadn't listened to the same songs through the Cowon, I wouldn't have been none the wiser. Kinda wish I hadn't now, as I will always have that niggle in the back of my mind.

Don't get me wrong though, I do love my iPhone.