iPhone audio Snap Crackle Pop with noise isolating headphones ....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by happyadam, Dec 12, 2007.

1. happyadam macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience using noise isolating earbuds (i.e. Shure SE500s, etc.) with the iPhone - if so do you hear any static/crackling noise even in airplane mode, with no sound and display switched off?

I've never noticed this on my iPhone with the stock Apple earbuds until my Shure MPA adapter arrived and I plugged in my SE500s - with the ear foam buds these cut out pretty much all background noise and I was disappointed to hear some static from the headphone jack. I switched to airplane mode, and even with the display off, and no music playing I can hear this static unless a) I mute the volume or b) wait until the audio switches off.

It's very similar to the problems that many (including me) have with the Macbook Pro headphone jack (minus the R2D2 beeps).

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? I tried the Apple earbuds again and if I cover my ears and am in a very quiet environment I can just about hear the same noise - it's just much more noticeable with noise isolating headphones.

BTW - I've tested the SE500s on a 3G Nano and there's no static.

As an aside I was quite disappointed with the Shure headphones on the iPhone - although great for music (minus above issue), they cut out too much sound when using the phone with the MPA microphone - I didn't appreciate how distracting it is when you can't hear yourself speak!! I find the Apple earbuds much better for phone calls. Maybe this will be helpful to anyone considering the Shure MPA for use with noise isolating headphones.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i haven't been able to use my good headphones because of the jack size issue... but I'm sorry to hear that the quality isn't up to par ...

do you have any EQ Settings on?

3. happyadam thread starter macrumors newbie

EQ settings are off - and the noise is only noticeable when there's no audio or during very quiet parts of a song. I might pop into an O2 store and try out my MPA/Shure combo on some display devices - and return it if there's a noticeable difference. Apart from that I love my iPhone to bits and would never have noticed the problem if I stuck to the apple earphones.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if it was noise during a song i would say it was the mp3 compression or some incorrect use of dither... but that shouldn't be happening when no audio is playing .... does the volume effect how loud it is, or does it stay constant?

5. happyadam thread starter macrumors newbie

It is constant regardless of volume except if you set the volume to zero - then it goes away.

6. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

It is the adapter, I have the same issue.

I fiddled with the connector and it went away. I hope you find the same result! They sure sound amazing