iPhone auto-correct: ne -> me... why not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Knowlege Bomb, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This is really just a rant and will probably end up closed. Just annoyed.

Is it just my phone? Why does the virtual key space seem to be bigger for the N than for the M? Why doesn't the phone auto-correct ne to me? Is "ne" even a word??

2. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

how many of these useless threads are we going to have

the auto correct dictionary is different for every user, + TONS of words start with ne- why would apple auto correct this to me

learn how to type before you rant and embarrass yourself online

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Noobie with a god complex??

Op. Ne is the Symbol for neon so it wouldn't auto correct it.

4. phynios macrumors member

phynios

Mine auto-corrects to 'be'. Could be that you presses the 'be X' popup so it will never auto-correct 'ne' again.

On that note, are the dictionaries really different for everyone or is that just because it learns your habits etc. I would have assumed that they are the all same out of the box?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They are the same out of the box and depending on your own corrections and habbits the dictionary with rank your corrections so it gets them right most of the time. For me ne does not auto correct but if I wanted to I know I could get it to.

6. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

There's usually one per thread. Probably looking for approval. I find it amusing.

But unnecessary snide comments aside, words starting with "ne" wouldn't make a difference. That's how auto-correct works. It suggests stuff as you go along. If I continue typing a word such as "never" the me suggestion would disappear. If I hit space or period after e, than common sense would dictate that I want "me" rather than the abbreviation for a rare gaseous element.

I'll probably just go ahead and reset my dictionary and see if it helps.