iphone automatic connection to unprotected wi-fi possible ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CZK, Feb 26, 2011.

1. CZK macrumors 6502a

Hi, is it possible to set the iphone ( jailbreak tweak or app) to force it connect to any unprotected wi-fi network around or you have to select it everytime you are somewhere ( because its never the same network depending where you are so it does not remember it).

2. JamesMB, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There might be a tweak, but I haven't heard of it. I can see where that might be handy, but I can also see where it would be a PITA.

3. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

it'd be kinda worthless as your device will just try to keep connecting to every "hp-setup" bunk connection out there, needlessly wearing down your battery.

4. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

No... when its on sleep mode it does not scan. When you wake it it starts scanning.

5. oakie, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

*sigh*

that wasnt my point at all. but good on you to assume that.

so it would be more efficient, in your opinion, for it to just sit and start running thru and trying to autoconnect to everything in sight once you wake it up, tap the screen, and wait for it to autoconnect to something?

cuz personally, i think it's simply faster for me to just, you know, wake it up and, uh, tap the screen to connect to something.

your idea lacks any sort of efficiency or improvement over the current requirement.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree with okie, that's why I said it would be a PITA. Can you imagine... Every time it found an hp-setup, you would get an unable to connect error, and every time it found a locked SSID, it would prompt for a password.:D

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Nevermind the hp-setup networks, there are countless open networks in metropolitan areas, at worst, setup solely to monitor unsuspecting users' online activity for nefarious purposes, and at best, to send users on a wild goosechase of ad popups and clickthroughs to browse with a crappy "Free Public Wifi" connection. A security nightmare at worst; a total waste of time at best.

Connect to any open network? No thanks.

8. neim81094 macrumors newbie

Yficonnect or something like that its supposed to be the fastest wifi
    Connector fr idevices its in cydia i think u hve to pay for it tho.......

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Bingo. Automatically connect to any unsecured network upon unwaking the phone? No way. Like sleeping with a hooker without a condom. Danger!

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I'm guna be the party pooper and say connecting to anyone's wifi is illegal even if it is unprotected, so there won't be any thing apple or official to do that. I bet There is a jail broken app to do that. Tho

11. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

Seems like it would be a pita to develop properly.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

"sleeping" is not the problem.