Iphone baby monitor

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IphoneDad, May 6, 2009.

1. IphoneDad macrumors newbie

I'm a new Dad and would like to see my baby sleeping on the phone when I am out of the house. I have tried to find wireless webcams that might work with the iphone or even how to get the video from our baby monitor(Summer Baby Monitor) to the phone without much luck or confidence. The idea being we're at dinner and I want to check in on him on the iphone without calling the baby sitter. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

2. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

you can add a webcam to Orb, and then access that webcam through the Orb Live app......

3. techiemom macrumors newbie

I think the Lorex LNE3003 will be a good choice.

It says this in the description "The LNE3003 features high-resolution viewing, 10x digital zoom and two-way audio. Enhanced MPEG4 compression provides efficient video stream allowing users to monitor real-time surveillance from any Internet connection or by using the Apple iPhone (mobile 3G). The LNE3003 is PC(Viewing-Recording-Playback) and MAC(Viewing) compatible(Viewing-Recording-Playback), supporting Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Safari browsers. Users will feel confident with a versatile camera that provides superior low-light performance with night-vision LEDs. Motion events trigger e-mail notifications with JPEG image attachment allowing users to see what happened. Included software gives users the ability to view, record and playback. "

http://focusoncctv.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=1965

4. brian4610 macrumors regular

5. m021478 macrumors 6502

6. hankydysplasia macrumors newbie

Baby Monitor Summary

This is why I love MacRumors. I've been looking for hours and I just decided to search baby monitor on here and in 3 posts found infinitely more helpful info.

Here's what I've come to think are the state of affairs for IP Wifi baby monitoring. (Mine's due in Nov! Woohoo!) All links are to Amazon. Some items aren't in stock.

The cheap option:
    Linksys WVC54GCA
    At $89 this looks like it works but is without bells and whistles.

The popular option:
    Panasonic BL-C131A
    This seems to be everyone's go-to monitoring camera. People seems to love it. It has 8 positioning presets and people report it works with the iPhone. Good daytime color image quality. However, there were questions at the bottom of the Amazon page that asked about the night vision. Someone said that with a very bright nightlight, the camera did not pick anything up. Refurbished for $182 or new for $299.

What I think I'm going to get (my unexperienced recommendation):
    Sharx Security VIPcella-IR SCNC2607
    (Thanks m021478).
    People have pretty much exclusively good things to say about this company. Everyone says that the customer service is great as you speak with real engineers. In their product description they tell people who don't need the nightvision to buy a cheaper model! The nightvision sounds like great quality though in addition to great daytime quality. Also sounds like you can allow for accounts for other family members that can selectively turn off audio. I'll make sure I have this camera from day one. When the kids are older, it'll be a great security camera. Sold from not Amazon for $289.

Lorex cameras all seemed to only have WEP encryption, which makes it not an option for me. I might consider them more if they allowed WPA - but I still think the Sharx sounds great.

Now, I'd love someone to let me know about a good OSX software program for this stuff.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I would like to set up web cams around my house for security and use the iCam app on my iPhone, but I have to say the web cams are really expensive. I don't understand why web cam technology isn't less expensive by now, $300 for one cam.....OUCH!

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Sorry partner, I am not interested in the least in baby monitors, however the title of the thread caught my eye. I took a look at that old thread you linked to and this one, the other post has less useful information. T

The most important thing in your post was this: http://mroogle.*************/

9. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

+ for that

10. rosekelin1982 macrumors newbie

11. brian4610 macrumors regular

that's just for in home use, I think people on this thread are looking for a monitor that allows for remote viewing, not just for at home use....

12. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I'd like to mount a cam to my puppy and watch it as it goes outside. Should be funny, unless he eats poo :p

13. johnlover macrumors newbie

hi, all

I found a wireless baby camera called "Bambino" which you can view it from iphone app.
    You don't need to open a browser and type your url to view the video.
    Just download their app to your iphone and you can view all your cameras on it.
    You can also share your camera to your friends or show your coworker your baby on your phone.
    I bought it from amazon for about $140 and i am very happy with it.

BTW, the night vision can turn on automatically and it's perfect to view my boy at night.

Here is the product link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bambino-Wireless-Internet-Monitor-required/dp/B003104LP6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1268940555&sr=8-2

14. adam12 macrumors newbie

Add pan-n-tilt to your iPhone Baby Monitor

Something Bambino and the other cameras can't do is pan-n-tilt. It's really a cool feature to be able to control the pan-n-tilt on your iPhone as well.

NextStepBabyMonitors has a package that allows you to do that using an IP camera. You can also name pre-set locations in the room, and bring those up on the iPhone and the cam will swing right to those locations, pretty cool.

We use the LiveCams app ($1.99) which is hands down better than iCam and is fully secure for private cameras. And no monthly fees for personal users, and full tech support.

http://www.nextstepbabymonitors.com/video-baby-monitors/iphone-video-baby-monitor.htm

- Adam
    http://www.nextstepbabymonitors.com

15. jules2008 macrumors newbie

Vuezone?

Has anyone tried VueCamera's VueZone and has some thoughts about it?

Sells at amazon for $299 (kinda pricey) but it seems to be fully compatible with the whole Mac/iPhone/iPad ecosystem.

Found this review on YouTube but is seems to predate VueZone (ability to watch video over the Internet through a native iPhone app)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9sFI6uY98&feature=youtube_gdata

Would love to hear what its pros and cons are. Like others in this thread I am also planning on using it as baby video monitor.

Update: i've been reading the reviews on amazon and they are not encouraging at all. Lots of disgruntled users complaining about battery life, image quality, nightvision limitations, etc. I'm moving on....

16. kunle macrumors newbie

Give HobbyCam a try

HobbyCam is born out of a pet projects of mine (developing iPhone app is not my day job.;)) Even though, at this moment, it does not have a many features that other webcam streaming apps may have, it has much better performance: Hobbycam can easily stream live images at 10FPS and beyond on both WiFi and 3G network (check out my demo at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMsF8-OHTo). You can even stream live images to multiple iPhone or iPod Touch simultaneously!!

The server side of HobbyCam can run on Linux, OS X and Windows. You don't need to have a new/powerful computer to run HobbyCam server either. My home setup (as shown in the video above) is a low end 1Gen mac mini. Streaming images at 160x120 resolution at 25FPS only consumes about 7% of CPU time.

So, if you have a spare old computer. Don't go and buy IP webcam costs few hundreds. I will suggest that you get a free copy of ubuntu linux (if you can install windows yourself, you should have no trouble install it.) and a copy of HobbyCam and server and follow the instructions on my website. You should be able to end up with a very cheap and useful remote monitoring solution. For more details check out http://apps.galaxynetwork.org.

Sorry to use this place for shameless self promotion. I don't intend to make much of profit from HobbyCam. I published the app for people who have similar needs as I have.

17. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

18. japanmoran macrumors newbie

japanmoran

19. nazharpasha macrumors newbie

video baby monitor reviews

The very best place to start your search for the best type of video baby monitor for you and your baby is on the Internet. You can find extensive baby monitor reviews which have already done all of the research for you to help you to make the right choice and also you will find out where you can buy one at discount prices!

20. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

21. JessicaLin macrumors newbie

Ive tried and returned a few brands of video baby monitors the last couple months but I found motorola baby monitor to be the best quality available. We use the foscam which uses the internet and goes to an app on the iPad or iPhone for daily use (which is amazing) but if that's not an option for you than this one has the best video quality that I found.

22. EzDaddy, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

EzDaddy macrumors newbie

23. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Get an izon. It is a cheap reliable camera ok in low light but not night vision.

24. jordnew macrumors newbie

Best Baby Video Monitor

My wife and I found this website about a week ago, it would be a good option. We purchased the samsung and we love it. It's a good investment because we'll keep the same one throughout all our kids.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-baby-video-monitors3