iPhone Backup Extractor > Back to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theod0re, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Theod0re macrumors member

Got a new 3G S. Since the last time I backed up my old 3G, I extracted the files to my computer (so I could go back and read my old texts) using the iPhone Backup Extractor. Haven't backed it up since then, and couldn't before I got my new one due to water damage. So when I restored my phone to last backup, it left out my notes, texts, and contacts (but kept the favorites, with the numbers).

I'm wondering if anybody knows how to get those files back into my iTunes "backup" file, so I can restore it after and get them back on my phone?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's not possible to re-encode those backups. I've searched and searched for answers and everyone says the same thing. That's why people have to jailbreak.

By the way... if you jailbreak you can browse to the SMS folder and copy the database files to it manually. First extract the SMS database with iPhone Backup Extractor... then jailbreak and navigate to var/mobile/Library/SMS and copy the sms.db database to it. You can do the same with Notes and Contacts too!

Then if you don't wanna be jailbroken, make a new backup in iTunes by right-clicking on your iPhone in the sidebar and choose "Backup" and then restore to a fresh firmware and restore to your newest backup that has the SMS messages in it.

Note: I've done this before. It really works.

3. Theod0re thread starter macrumors member

So, I can't restore to an older back up or anything like that? With the program itself it seems I can "extract" them back, aka possibly to my backup folder (if I could find it) our.. Outlook and sync it through there?

There is no way I'm jailbreaking this.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're using Mac OS X, you can extract your contacts database and put the files in /Users/youruser/Library/Application Support/AddressBook. Then launch AddressBook and all your contacts should be there. Then just simply sync your contacts to your iPhone using iTunes. You can't get your text messages back though.

Edit: You shouldn't have extracted your contacts and SMS messages from your backup to begin with. You still could've restored your iPhone 3GS using the iPhone 3G backup.

5. Theod0re thread starter macrumors member

My sister has a Mac, and maybe I could get the file from this computer to that one? That's about all I can think of. Unless I can somehow get the list off my dead phone, (iTunes hasn't been recognizing it, although it does turn on, and I could get texts from it)

And I know I could've done that. I just didn't plan on dropping my phone in a sink. I couldn't back it up after that, so all I could do was take it in and get a new one.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hmm... I don't suppose you've ever plugged it into your sister's Mac and had it accidentally make a backup on her computer have you? My brother has some of my backups.

7. Theod0re thread starter macrumors member

Nope, the iTunes was always too old to even sync with my iPhone.