iPhone backup gone - disaster!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bmh16, Sep 19, 2013.

1. bmh16 macrumors regular

Updating my iPhone 4 to ios7 today, and it has left me very annoyed.

Updated it eventually, get on there, do everything to be basically frozen on the connected to itunes screen. Can't do anything, try a few different things doesn't change despite doing everything right on the computer with it showing normal iphone page on itunes. Thought i would see if it changed it if i made a new iphone from it. It transpires then that it automatically backs it up and all traces of backups a year or newer have disappeared so i am left with a completely new phone with a few things i apparently backed up on icloud about a year ago.

Livid. What can i do? Luckily a lot is manageable but access to old texts for example, and notes and such like are all gone... Not to mention a load of important numbers!

2. danwass macrumors newbie

If you did not backup the iPhone before updating, whether that be in iTunes or on the device it self to iCloud, there is no way you can get it back.

Did you set up a backup to the iCloud or your computer?

Whenever you are restoring, or updating, ALWAYS ALWAYS do a backup. Issues like this happen all the time. I'm sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience. Thankfully gathering numbers from people you actually talk to is a lot easier than losing photos or videos that haven't been backed up.:(

3. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

It's frustrating, i'm a bit confused why more backups aren't saved, a backup each month or something!?

But hey-ho looks like i can't do anything about it, you're right though, at least i haven't lost a lot of photos and videos as that's all imported regularly. I've basically just lost data which is mostly retrievable!