Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IndyBob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Indianapolis
We are changing our wireless carrier and replacing our 10 T-Mobile iPhones with new Verizon iPhones. All of T-Mobile devices are running IOS 9.3.4.

Should I use iCloud backup or iTunes Encrypted backup? iCloud would be easier for us but I want to make sure I am backing up and restoring everything I need like text message and Health data.

Thanks

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I prefer to use iTunes encrypted over iCloud because of the time it takes to redownload everything with the iCloud download. If you already have all the app files and whatnot in iTunes, then just use iTunes, its faster. I do keep iCloud backup on so it backups automatically, but right before I know I am going to do a restore, I create an updated iTunes one.

Reactions: MLVC

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I prefer to use iTunes encrypted over iCloud because of the time it takes to redownload everything with the iCloud download. If you already have all the app files and whatnot in iTunes, then just use iTunes, its faster. I do keep iCloud backup on so it backups automatically, but right before I know I am going to do a restore, I create an updated iTunes one.
Agree 100%. I've read numerous accounts of people having issues with iCloud restores. iTunes restores seem to be much less problematic.
I do automatic iCloud backups, but try to do manual iTunes backups at least twice a week. (Yes, I'm a worrier!)

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Agree 100%. I've read numerous accounts of people having issues with iCloud restores. iTunes restores seem to be much less problematic.
I do automatic iCloud backups, but try to do manual iTunes backups at least twice a week. (Yes, I'm a worrier!)

Better safe than sorry! I was more careless with backups before my Apple Watch. Now I don't want to lose my months of workouts!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In iOS 9, Apple will force downloading all apps from App Store again when restoring, whether you choose iTunes backup or iCloud backup. App thinning something.
This one alone could ruin the entire local restore and disallow you to do a complete offline restore using iTunes only.
I don't have any solution of this problem yet.

Reactions: aristobrat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.