Iphone backup missing in iTunes after restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pabardon, Jul 14, 2011.

1. pabardon macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I just updated my iphone 3GS, which had a 3. something firmware version, to 4.1

Right before doing this, I connected the iphone to my mac computer, and it synchronized just fine (actually took like 30 minutes for all the music it had).
    Right after the new firmware was in place, the phone restarted and iTunes came and asked me if I wanted to restore with the information from “Pablo’s iphone”, which is my phone, so everything looked fine.

The problem was that this synchronization only took like 10 seconds, because it didn’t restored anything, I don’t have any of my contact information, applications, notes, email configuration, music, SMS log.., nothing. Now I check the backups on iTunes, and there are none before the time I updated the firmware on the phone.

Any idea of what it is, is this a known issue, any way to recover the information, or should I just start telling everyone to send their information again? Thanks

Pablo

2. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

This happened to me not too long ago - I'm a big gamer, so I lost all my progress in ALL my games along with everything else. There IS a way to get around it, although this is hit-and-miss.

What you need to do is Restore again through iTunes and choose another back-up. Out of desperation I did this, and was relieved when I found out I had stumbled upon the *actual* back-up I wanted. You'll have to go with gut feeling what one to choose though.

In the end, I chose a *dated* back-up, and although it was an older back-up, after getting all my saves back, I synched again and all my old data came flooding back! So -

1. Re-restore through iTunes
    2. Pick a dated back-up
    3. Pray to Cthulhu
    4. Hopefully you'll have your stuff back

Then for good measure, synchronize one more time. Good luck, friend.

3. pabardon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Lycanthroat.
    I tried what you said already, but no luck. The problem is that there aren't backups, its like all of them vanished. The ones I have now, are dated after the moment I restores the phone.
    Is it possible that it took that many time to sync the iphone with itunes, and still itunes didn't save anything? Or is it more like there was a backup at some point, but then something in itunes or other application deleted it? I'm asking this because if it is the second, then maybe (again, maybe) there is a tool somewhere that could allow me to try to do an undelete of those files.

Thanks for your help