iPhone Backup Question (Photos)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigMcGuire, Apr 7, 2015.

1. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I recently purchased storage for iCloud. My questions pertain to photos and iCloud backup on an iPhone.

I have iCloud Photo Library ON.

But I noticed that in Backups --> This iPhone ---- it seems to be backing up my Photo Library there as well (double space usage?).

Question (1):
    If I have iCloud Photo Library (Beta) ON - I shouldn't need to back up my photos in the backup, right? I don't really care if my iPhone doesn't have all my photos as long as they're backed up somewhere (iCloud photo library).

Question (2):
    I've lived with 16GB iPhones for many years. This is my first 128GB iPhone. I take a LOT of photos. I usually just backed up to my Windows computer and then deleted photos on my iPhone. It appears if I do this on my iPhone now it also deletes them in the iCloud Photo Library? Or if I sync to a Windows computer and choose to delete after syncing - will it remove them from my iCloud Photo Library?

Thanks for your time and apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

2. BigMcGuire thread starter macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Wow no one using iCloud to backup photos? :p No worries, I did some reading and... it looks like if you delete photos on the phone manually (like I used to) it will also delete them in the iCloud UNLESS you choose to delete them during an import to a Windows machine (I don't have a Mac).

I was going to turn off photo backup in the iCloud backup since the iCloud Photo Library is on and I backup my photos to Google+ but it is now showing "No Data" in the Backup since I have iCloud Photo Library on so that resolved itself.

I just HATE how I have to Open Google Drive for the photos to be backed up - otherwise they won't back up automatically. Same for the OneDrive app (Microsoft). iCloud on my Windows machine isn't getting my photo stream either - seems to be a problem a lot of people have.

Oh well ---- :p Fun stuff. Just trying to find a way to backup my photos without having to manually do it. iCloud works but I only have Windows machines at home. So using Google+ (Google Drive app) too as a backup backup.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I just back up my camera roll, documents and some app data to iCloud. I don't use iCloud Photo Library.

4. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

i would do the same thing. Copy my pictures to my Mac but leave them in my camera roll. I have iCloud Photo Library set up but I think I'm gonna disable it and go back to how I was doing it. Just not liking how it works with storage space.