iPhone Backup Question (Photos)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigMcGuire, Apr 7, 2015.

1. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I recently purchased storage for iCloud. My questions pertain to photos and iCloud backup on an iPhone.

I have iCloud Photo Library ON.

But I noticed that in Backups --> This iPhone ---- it seems to be backing up my Photo Library there as well (double space usage?).

Question (1):
    If I have iCloud Photo Library (Beta) ON - I shouldn't need to back up my photos in the backup, right? I don't really care if my iPhone doesn't have all my photos as long as they're backed up somewhere (iCloud photo library).

Question (2):
    I've lived with 16GB iPhones for many years. This is my first 128GB iPhone. I take a LOT of photos. I usually just backed up to my Windows computer and then deleted photos on my iPhone. It appears if I do this on my iPhone now it also deletes them in the iCloud Photo Library? Or if I sync to a Windows computer and choose to delete after syncing - will it remove them from my iCloud Photo Library?

Thanks for your time and apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

2. BigMcGuire thread starter Contributor

BigMcGuire

Wow no one using iCloud to backup photos? :p No worries, I did some reading and... it looks like if you delete photos on the phone manually (like I used to) it will also delete them in the iCloud UNLESS you choose to delete them during an import to a Windows machine (I don't have a Mac).

I was going to turn off photo backup in the iCloud backup since the iCloud Photo Library is on and I backup my photos to Google+ but it is now showing "No Data" in the Backup since I have iCloud Photo Library on so that resolved itself.

I just HATE how I have to Open Google Drive for the photos to be backed up - otherwise they won't back up automatically. Same for the OneDrive app (Microsoft). iCloud on my Windows machine isn't getting my photo stream either - seems to be a problem a lot of people have.

Oh well ---- :p Fun stuff. Just trying to find a way to backup my photos without having to manually do it. iCloud works but I only have Windows machines at home. So using Google+ (Google Drive app) too as a backup backup.

3. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I just back up my camera roll, documents and some app data to iCloud. I don't use iCloud Photo Library.

4. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

i would do the same thing. Copy my pictures to my Mac but leave them in my camera roll. I have iCloud Photo Library set up but I think I'm gonna disable it and go back to how I was doing it. Just not liking how it works with storage space.