Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cravendale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
UK
In setting up my new iPhone 11 Pro Max and restoring from previous Xs Max backup on computer, I've realised that the size of the Xs Max backup file on my MacBook is 28GB!

I normally start fresh each iPhone. But I swear backups are normally 7-8GB.

Is 28GB strangely large or normal? I don't want to be going forward with this backup if for any reason it's corrupted etc, and I can still potentially start fresh instead.

Cravendale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
UK
Mine went from 1.5GB to 13.9GB from my Xs Max to 11 Pro Max. I’m wondering if this will change in future versions of iOS 13?

Ah glad it's not just me! Maybe an iOS thing then - although I'm sure Apple said this iOS would be making apps etc, smaller in size...

mdlyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Ah glad it's not just me! Maybe an iOS thing then - although I'm sure Apple said this iOS would be making apps etc, smaller in size...

I should mention that I’m talking about my iCloud backup. I re-read your post and realized you were talking about the local Mac backup. Mine stayed pretty consistent at about 48GB local backup

Cravendale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
UK
I should mention that I’m talking about my iCloud backup. I re-read your post and realized you were talking about the local Mac backup. Mine stayed pretty consistent at about 48GB local backup

Your local backup is 48GB? Ok, that makes me a lot less concerned about my 28GB! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.