iPhone backup through iTunes... protects against possible bricking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvryDayImShufln, Sep 22, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey guys

I wonder.. do you think the itunes iphone backup is fully complete aka meaning that the unlock is saved? Is it possible to restore new iPhones with my backup and have them unlocked, for example?

The reason I ask this is because if firmware 1.1.1 came out and I needed to restore my iPhone through iTunes (unless there is another way) I could not imagine how I could get back firmware 1.02. So is a backup good enough to save my phone incase of possible screwups?

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Bricking is not likely. Just relocking.

I doubt the unlock is saved in the back-up. There's no reason for them to think of the baseband as user data or preference. But iTunes archives old firmware, so when you do a restore, you can hold down option to select firmware version to restore.

If for some reason Apple wipes 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 firmware archives with the next iTunes update, you're screwed. Um... No you're not. I'm anti-unlocking for various reasons, so I won't support it, but others here will. A message with the title "Where can I get older iPhone firmware versions?" will probably get you the answer you need.

3. MiLK© macrumors member

4. sanford macrumors 65816

5. MiLK© macrumors member

I believe on a Mac it is indeed option+restore. Please note I have not tried this myself yet.

Refer to my thread on the hackint0sh forum for more info. :)

6. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

7. Scandals macrumors member

Has anyone had a chance to try OPTION-RESTORE to see if it actually works? Maybe just try clicking it and see if it prompts for a file location, then cancel out if you don't really need to. I have read about OPTION-RESTORE on two different websites, but no one has confirmed it as of yet.

Thanks!

8. crazediamond macrumors newbie

Option-restore

Hi i just do the OPTION-RESTORE and its work on my iphone (1.0.2) but you need to run jail break after the OPTION-RESTORE.

You can click the link below but make sure its 1.0.2 and not 1.1.1
    Safari might not download the "iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw" correctly. I use camino instead.

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/iphone_step1_mac_74.html