iPhone Backup to New iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RobHague, Dec 15, 2009.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

If you backed up/synced an iPhone in iTunes, and then get a new unit would there be any reason why 'restoring' (assuming it asks) the backup from the old to the new one would be a bad idea?

Just curious incase the different serials etc might bugger something up. I guess it depends what the backup contains, and if it will try and restore things like usage data etc (which would be false since its not that phone). Worth a double check, since its not *too much* hassle doing everything manaually.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It shouldnt be a problem.
    Thats what the backup and restore from backup are for. To make things easier and not to lose any info.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I always restore as new and then sync everything over. However, if you're worried about game saves, then you wouldn't want to do that.

The only reason you would definitely not want to restore from a backup is when going from one model to another (like a 3G to 3GS). Otherwise it doesn't affect anything.

4. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

So when I get my 3GS, I can't transfer my date (mainly my contacts) from the 3G to the 3GS? I'll have to manually re-enter everything? (I don't sync with a cloud.)

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why?

Why would Apple have a feature in iTunes that you wouldn't want to use but they don't warn you about?

Forget the cloud, you're saying you don't even sync with a computer? That's kind of dangerous. If something happens to your phone you're totally out of luck.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You sync with your computer. Contacts don't come from a backup, they're synced.

Besides, I didn't say you "couldn't" restore from a backup. I just don't advise it for the reasons given below.

Because there were issues with the 3GS being restored from a backup from a 3G. There are numerous threads about it.

7. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Yes, of course I sunc with iTines.

I'm just trying to avoid manually reentering all my phone contacts. My 3GS arrived today.

So I do NOT restore from backup, I set up as new?

Will my contatcs still sync? From where?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You sync from wherever you synced them from before (Outlook or Windows Address Book on a PC or Address Book on a Mac). If you didn't sync them before, then your only recourse is restoring from a backup (unless you want to use software to get them off the iPhone, which could be a PITA).